Bow Hunting

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Local time
9:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just thought I would do a recon mission this morning and check some stands out at daylight since it was a little bit windy this morning. Came around the corner to the first stand and saw a buck walk into the corn. I thought I'd spook him but I didn't and I saw him walking toward me through the corn ten feet away. He ran about 25 yards. I was only out 10 minutes..20181015_075116.jpg

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just thought I would do a recon mission this morning and check some stands out at daylight since it was a little bit windy this morning. Came around the corner to the first stand and saw a buck walk into the corn. I thought I'd spook him but I didn't and I saw him walking toward me through the corn ten feet away. He ran about 25 yards. I was only out 10 minutes..View attachment 145741
Heck ya Steve nice job!

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just thought I would do a recon mission this morning and check some stands out at daylight since it was a little bit windy this morning. Came around the corner to the first stand and saw a buck walk into the corn. I thought I'd spook him but I didn't and I saw him walking toward me through the corn ten feet away. He ran about 25 yards. I was only out 10 minutes..View attachment 145741

Sweet, Steve, can't beat that with a stick!! :cool:

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
8:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
U must have been wearing a lot of clothes....to keep ur heart from beating out of ur chest!!! Never had a kill that close from the ground. Unbelievable!!!! Congrats! U better put that dude on the wall! The memories, the stories, the constant reminder of the feat u acomplished!!! Im speachless! Except for what i wrote above:DLOL CONGRATS!!! I expect to see the back straps on the "whats on the grill or smoker" thread so we can all bask in the glory of a clean kill and the end of an amazing hunt.... that is if they aint in ur belly already....

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally, the temperature dropped and the rain stopped! Does and fawns were moving good late afternoon during sunlight hours. Now I want a big buck to make that same mistake.
Best of luck to u! Have u seen any rutting activity? A buddy of mine seen two good bucks squaring off close to wer we hunt. Yup i was workin when he seen um. I think with the early cool weather wer having its gonna turn on quick.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have not seen much for rut activity here in central Wi. yet, but I have only been out on weekends so far.
I did have a small buck come to me rattling last Saturday though.
A few guys claim they are chasing does.
All the big bucks I had on camera all summer moved out, like they always seem to, but I still have a bunch of does hanging out, so hopefully it brings them back in.

I have next Friday off, then Nov. 2nd through the 11th off.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last Wednesday had a six point and a spike along with maybe six or seven does all around me. The bucks were more concerned with the White Oak acorns than they were if the does. We have a freeze warning for Friday morning. That might change things a little!

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This morning. Fork horn at my waterhole. There was a spike buck just to the right outside the picture. They stood and stared at each other for a solid 15 minutes.

20181021_082906.jpg
43 yards. Looks so much further in a picture!
They are currently taking the corn off the property to the north of me. Have to see how that changes their patterns.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Congrats! Nice one! Looks like a big ole doe! I do have a question for ya though. I think i remember u saying ur down by where the 2 big rivers meet. I see ur wearing snake boots. Do u have a lot of venomous snakes sitings and or run ins? Or is it more of an insurance policy? We really dont see snakes in northern IL hunting. But im headin down to Perry Co. for a week of bowhunting beginning of Nov. Ive seen good size snakes a few times in 28 yrs down there. They didnt even hang around long enough to even figure out what kind they were. Just how i like it!:D But ive always thought about gettin a pair of snake boots just for piece of mind.

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Congrats! Nice one! Looks like a big ole doe! I do have a question for ya though. I think i remember u saying ur down by where the 2 big rivers meet. I see ur wearing snake boots. Do u have a lot of venomous snakes sitings and or run ins? Or is it more of an insurance policy? We really dont see snakes in northern IL hunting. But im headin down to Perry Co. for a week of bowhunting beginning of Nov. Ive seen good size snakes a few times in 28 yrs down there. They didnt even hang around long enough to even figure out what kind they were. Just how i like it!:D But ive always thought about gettin a pair of snake boots just for piece of mind.

Yeah man she was a fatty ..I have them for Turkey hunting mainly. Down here where I'm at we have a little of everything rattlers copperheads and cottonmouths and all the other non poisonous snakes. Just depends on if u r hunting in the hills of shawnee national forest or the swamps of the fish and wildlife.. which r only about a 10 minute drive apart. So to answer ur question I'm really just wearing them for the peace of mind and they are pretty dang comfortable and lite weight.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah man she was a fatty ..I have them for Turkey hunting mainly. Down here where I'm at we have a little of everything rattlers copperheads and cottonmouths and all the other non poisonous snakes. Just depends on if u r hunting in the hills of shawnee national forest or the swamps of the fish and wildlife.. which r only about a 10 minute drive apart. So to answer ur question I'm really just wearing them for the peace of mind and they are pretty dang comfortable and lite weight.
Always had that thought im my head what if. Sometimes its 30-45 min walk up and down hills to get to the stand. I dont think u have that long to live gettin bit by a rattler and then humpin hills pumpin poison even faster. Deffiniatly a good investment. Better safe than sorry.

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Always had that thought im my head what if. Sometimes its 30-45 min walk up and down hills to get to the stand. I dont think u have that long to live gettin bit by a rattler and then humpin hills pumpin poison even faster. Deffiniatly a good investment. Better safe than sorry.

Yep pretty reasonable on the price also

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
C50998EB-B6F1-4616-991D-F1AA2F87138D.jpeg It’s been hot here finally cooled off first morning out couldn’t find my tree in the dark. Walked back to truck started getting light out found my tree hooked up climber, climbed up sweating like hell settled in nice doe came in 8:23.