'Bore cut' versus 'Plunge cut'?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did they describe the distinction? Seems to me the action is the same but with different intented results.
Some people define them distinctly. However, I have found credible references where they are used interchangeably.

Like 'spikes' vs 'dogs' (or 'dawgs'). Or 'depth gauges' vs 'rakers' or 'drags'. Some people have preferences and I wanted to hear them out. Or find out if there is an 'official' difference. Can always learn something !

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Thank you' for all who have replied. I am sticking with the 'different terms for the same thing' point of view.

Below, for anyone else with OCD, are some references I found that support the terms being used interchangeably.

Philbert

Glossary of Forest Engineering Terms
https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/forestops/glossary/
Boring - Starting a cut in the center of a log using the tip of the saw blade. Also known as a plunge cut.
Plunge cut - Starting a cut in the center of a log using the tip of the chain saw blade. Also known as boring.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STIHL MS 461 Instruction Manual
(pages 11 - 12, with illustrations) Similar language in other STIHL manuals.

Plunge cutting
- For felling leaners
- For relieving cuts during bucking
1. Begin cut by applying the lower portion of the guide bar nose – do not use upper portion because of – risk of kickback. Cut until depth of kerf is twice the width of the guide bar.
2. Swing saw slowly into plunge-cutting position – take care because of the risk of kickback or pushback.
3. Make the plunge cut very carefully. Danger of pushback.

Screen shot 2018-06-11 at 9.56.24 PM.png Screen shot 2018-06-11 at 9.56.35 PM.png
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game of Logging Reference
https://web.extension.illinois.edu/...ng/UIUC_Tims_Tips_Chainsaw_Safety/backcut.pdf
" 2. The Bore Cut - Trees with backward or forward lean pose some difficulty and generally require the formation of a proper hinge prior to completing the back cut. On these trees it is recommended that the logger use the bore or plunge cut as the first step in making a back cut."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wildland Fire Chain Saws S-212 Student Workbook December 2012
National Interagency Fire Center,National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG)

page 4A.14 Boring is a bucking method that can be used when space is limited under a log. You should gain proficiency with other bucking cuts first before attempting this cut.

page 4C.8 Boring to determine a tree’s soundness is an important technique, but it must be done properly because it has the potential for kickback. Using the guide bar nose, bore into the area 90 degrees to the holding wood (hinge).

page 4C.29 Two methods for removing leaners are a boring back cut and a triangle cut. You should gain experience before attempting these cuts.

RandyMac

Stiff Member
Local time
8:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Continue to revel in your ignorance.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
11:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Thank you' for all who have replied. I am sticking with the 'different terms for the same thing' point of view.

Below, for anyone else with OCD, are some references I found that support the terms being used interchangeably.

Philbert

Glossary of Forest Engineering Terms
https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/forestops/glossary/
Boring - Starting a cut in the center of a log using the tip of the saw blade. Also known as a plunge cut.
Plunge cut - Starting a cut in the center of a log using the tip of the chain saw blade. Also known as boring.
STIHL MS 461 Instruction Manual
(pages 11 - 12, with illustrations) Similar language in other STIHL manuals.

Plunge cutting
- For felling leaners
- For relieving cuts during bucking
1. Begin cut by applying the lower portion of the guide bar nose – do not use upper portion because of – risk of kickback. Cut until depth of kerf is twice the width of the guide bar.
2. Swing saw slowly into plunge-cutting position – take care because of the risk of kickback or pushback.
3. Make the plunge cut very carefully. Danger of pushback.

View attachment 128709 View attachment 128710
Game of Logging Reference
https://web.extension.illinois.edu/...ng/UIUC_Tims_Tips_Chainsaw_Safety/backcut.pdf
" 2. The Bore Cut - Trees with backward or forward lean pose some difficulty and generally require the formation of a proper hinge prior to completing the back cut. On these trees it is recommended that the logger use the bore or plunge cut as the first step in making a back cut."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wildland Fire Chain Saws S-212 Student Workbook December 2012
National Interagency Fire Center,National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG)

page 4A.14 Boring is a bucking method that can be used when space is limited under a log. You should gain proficiency with other bucking cuts first before attempting this cut.

page 4C.8 Boring to determine a tree’s soundness is an important technique, but it must be done properly because it has the potential for kickback. Using the guide bar nose, bore into the area 90 degrees to the holding wood (hinge).

page 4C.29 Two methods for removing leaners are a boring back cut and a triangle cut. You should gain experience before attempting these cuts.
The first reference refers to the bar as a “blade”. Not sure how credible that one is...lol! Just goofin bud, I’m like you, the terms are interchangeable. I just use this cut when it’s needed.

Last edited: