Blue Loctite, or Red?

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little less known, but a product company called Vibra-tite, the VC line is wicked good for stuff you may take off here and there. But it mitigates loosening due to vibration.

They have other thread lockers

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced most of my Huskies screws with Stihl torx screws with the locking teeth so no need for Loctite. Heard the latest XP's now have locking tooth screws.
Red Loctite does degrade in time though and weakens.
Presently rebuilding my YZ bikesaw I built 35 years ago and the red Loctite on the screws and drive sprocket are now powder with no more holding capability.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced most of my Huskies screws with Stihl torx screws with the locking teeth so no need for Loctite. Heard the latest XP's now have locking tooth screws.
Red Loctite does degrade in time though and weakens.
Presently rebuilding my YZ bikesaw I built 35 years ago and the red Loctite on the screws and drive sprocket are now powder with no more holding capability.
I'd say it held up pretty good for 35 years.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm using the Permatex 27140 and have never had that problem, and I've removed lots of them. Perhaps it is different.

They also don't come out till I want them to :)

Just curious are the threads or bolt dirty when going in with the red?

Just as a general there’s a couple of reds as well that’s the lower strength of them /3/8’s up to 1”, 1”+, green bearing retainer, cat cement and I’m sure forgetting a few are such treats to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
8:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Reason I like the loctite 243 blue is that it’s surface insensitive. The permatex copy of loctite doesn’t offer it I don’t believe.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you run across a saw that will not hold muffler bolts, and you have changed them three ffing times already, you will change your tune.

FYI, the used some pretty strong thread locker on the muffler bolts on my 462 straight from the factory! (and you know those are new bolts/clean holes). There must be a reason!

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I posted about the vibra-tite product above...

I wanted to add that their compound does extremely well under high heat applications where there are heavy harmonics going on. So this is likely one of the best products that isnt used in this application.

Where the loctite variant does not like heat, and will turn to powder.