Blue Loctite, or Red?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't get into red unless I never think I'll remove anything ever .The only time I've used it on chainsaws was once on the carb of a Stihl 200T I thought had a crack in it .One variation of the Zama C1 Q

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually I do use Blue 243 (not 242 yikes) and Red 262 quite often on these. Red used properly with the right tools comes free even on small stuff.

Bolts backing out on these at the wrong time can get expensive and even dangerous.

Diabolo_700.jpg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to use Blue on everything, but I had a few saws come to me (460s) that just would shake the muffler bolts out any way, so I started using the Red, and it worked.

So now I use Red on everything, and don't have any problem removing bolts. Every now and then it will make some of the larger bolts difficult to remove, but I just go back and forth a couple of times and they come out no problem.

It may be rare, but having muffler bolts come loose when you are using a saw is a Royal PITA! I don't see any downside to using the Red, and I have had basically ZERO problems with loose screws since I started using it.

Bottom Line … It works for me w/o any issues, so I'm going to keep on using it … in OEM and AM saws.

Last edited:

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every now and then it will make some of the larger bolts difficult to remove, but I just go back and forth a couple of times and they come out not problem.
I DO THIS more than I realize when I get a stubborn bolt, gets to be a habit. Most of the time it is on steel to steel like old machinery.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably Permatex brand (blue plastic tube/bottle regardless of strength) vs Loctite brand (red plastic tube/bottle regardless etc)

Because the world isn't confusing enough as it is...

serveimage

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably Permatex brand (blue plastic tube/bottle regardless of strength) vs Loctite brand (red plastic tube/bottle regardless etc)

Because the world isn't confusing enough as it is...

serveimage
Your words and warped SmILLee makes me "CURIOUS" do you know one of my sisters??

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
2:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve used red on a exhaust bolt that kept coming lose, oh boy it was apita to undo when I needed to take it off. It involved me heating the cylinder with a blow torch.

Never using red again on a saw

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm using the Permatex 27140 and have never had that problem, and I've removed lots of them. Perhaps it is different.

They also don't come out till I want them to :)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a Stihl 038 Mag that spent over 20 years of hard service for a tree company .That thing grenaded a piston ,I saved it ,still runs good .The pot licker kept blowing out the clutch side seal for some reason .I lost my patience and red loctited the damned thing and that was that . What caused the seal pocket to go bad or why the seal kept blowing out I have no idea .
I will say this ,having directly worked in the automotive industry for 29 years and indirectly a total of 46 years Loctite products are a world standard. Red is used on the Welch plugs and 5900 RTV has replaced gaskets on any thing from a Ford to Bentley .It's good stuff .