High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Blown up MS441 value?

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi guys, buddy of mine acquired an MS441 Magnum power head that was straight gassed. He said it had 11 tanks on it before someone put straight fuel in it. Anyhow, He offered to let me buy the saw to rebuild.
Bottom end looks fine and the saw is mostly complete minus, so far, the handle bar and falling spikes. I have used handle bars at the shop free to me so no big deal. Falling spikes....I wanna look into a custom set anyhow.

Question, what would be a reasonable offer?

Looks like a Piston and cylinder with a full gasket set will do. Then comes the tune up...Carb kit, fuel line or lines, filter, plug, rim sprocket, and chip guard. Saw is already in pieces so it's somewhat hard to tell if Everything is there, but it looks complete. Everything laid on the table as of now.

I was thinking of offering $125 for it. Nice thing is I can get parts for cost plus 10% so it's looking like I should have a running saw for about $375. Then comes a bar and chain.

Anyhow, I don't want to low ball him so that's why I'm asking. Also...big question of the day....any small mods I could do? Muffler looks like it could be dual ported...no high flow a/f's that I'm aware of.
Anyone done a base gasket delete?
Different HD carb? Maybe from an 066?

The saw was Free to Him so.......

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
441 is a strato, so no carb upgrade options unless you get really creative. Like really really creative.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
7:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I use to hate a 441 but now I like them
Not to actually use of course,there to heavy but they port very good and run fantastic.
I have most every peice of a standard carb one but would rather have the mtronic.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the newer stihl saws have no aftermarket parts available for them. I checked into a MS291 and was thinking of making an offer and saw there were no aftermarket P/C kits and the OEMs cost what the saw was worth so I offered them $50 which was roughly what the bar and chain were worth..

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have the parts or would be interested in the saw.

Mtronic?
It's a just a plain ol carb. If it was Mtronic I would have passed. Heard to many issues.

EDIT: Just read another post, you mentioned one would rather have an Mtronic. lol I was reading that many were having problems with the mtronics on this particular saw?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's a just a plain ol carb. If it was Mtronic I would have passed. Heard to many issues.

EDIT: Just read another post, you mentioned one would rather have an Mtronic. lol I was reading that many were having problems with the mtronics on this particular saw?
I don't know of any problems with a 441 or 362.
They had trouble with the 661 when it first came out.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a nice set of Stainless Steel west coast dogs for sale if your interested. Only used them a few times. I like the OEM spikes better.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. When I get home. I will PM you. Thanks

lwhaples

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just took a MS441 in trade. Was hoping it was the Mtronic,but has the carb. Worth fixing if you end up owning it. Today I made the jigs so I can port mine. Good Luck.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just took a MS441 in trade. Was hoping it was the Mtronic,but has the carb. Worth fixing if you end up owning it. Today I made the jigs so I can port mine. Good Luck.
Be interesting to see how the port work turns out. I was thinking of sending the new piston and cylinder to a guy I know up north from me to have him do some work maybe. Might just keep it OEM with a muffler mod for now though.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a recall on the MS 661 C-M here in Germany. These machines had problems with the running behaivor and engine damage. Stihl had a kit with new piston and cylinder, gasket and intake manifold to fix this. The m-tronic control units had also some modifications, but that was not included in this recall of the first MS 661`s. Some of them were tuned to lean in the firmware. Have a look here, I think there are some posts about it here or on AS.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
There was a recall on the MS 661 C-M here in Germany. These machines had problems with the running behaivor and engine damage. Stihl had a kit with new piston and cylinder, gasket and intake manifold to fix this. The m-tronic control units had also some modifications, but that was not included in this recall of the first MS 661`s. Some of them were tuned to lean in the firmware. Have a look here, I think there are some posts about it here or on AS.

This right here is why I dislike new saws. I think I'll be in control of my own fuel/air mix thankyou, rather than letting some firmware cock it up for me! Give me an 066 Red light over a 661 C-M any day

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry about the derail...
What was the issue with the 661? and was there a fix?
I have a 661 with a toasted piston that holds vacuum fine .
Thanks
4700 coil can get them to lean,that was the exact problem.

Coil upgrade took care of it.

Want to sell/trade it?
I'm looking for one,need any saws ported?