High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Best way to change rear tractor tires?

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I suppose if your filthy rich and lack ambition you can buy any service you need.

Big rear tractor tires are so easy to do.
Crip if the rims are going to the scrap yard may just be able to cut the rusted up rims in half and not deal with the removing the tire off the rim.

:D Al

John235

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have done the same thing to both my tractor tires. One of the rims was rotted around the valve stem so I welded a piece in and drilled a hole in a new spot for the tubes valve stem. I remember one of the tires was stuck to the rim pretty good so I placed it flat on the ground and ran over just the tire portion with my truck tire to pop the bead. After that it was pretty easy to pull half the tire off and stuff a tube in. Push on one side of the tires bead and get it into the middle of the rim, then pop off the opposite side. If your rim Is deeper in the center it gives you way more (slack) to pop the other side off with minimal force. Really helps to have two people.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose if your filthy rich and lack ambition you can buy any service you need.

Big rear tractor tires are so easy to do.
Crip if the rims are going to the scrap yard may just be able to cut the rusted up rims in half and not deal with the removing the tire off the rim.

Or......if you're a busy man that can make better use of his time doing what he is good at, you can pay someone less than you'd lose trying to do it yourself

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd take the damn things up to the Co-op......then when they called, I'd go pick em up.
Our approach as well. Just had 4, 18.4-38s put on today. $4,200 worth! Our CoOp uses methanol in tires. I would have hated to do those by hand. Still a pain to take them off even with a loader, air tools, and tire handler jack.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When your retired you have lots of time to do things like that. But if yoiur a couch potato I suppose.

Have drained all my tires of cloride and use wheel weights instead. up until recent the wheel weights were pretty cheal about a dollar or less a pound.

When I bought the Bota I had the tires filled with Beet Juice AKA Rim Guard. it cost $387.00to have them filled. 500 pounds of wheel weights for it was $1000.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When your retired you have lots of time to do things like that. But if yoiur a couch potato I suppose.

I recently retired from the day job of 40 years. 50 to 60 hour weeks were the norm and being on call. Our "best" customer was 74 miles from my house. Lots of 2 hour drives at 2AM. Been running 2 small businesses for about 15 years. Since retiring taking them full time plus everybody wants to do handyman stuff. Not sure if that qualifies me as a couch potato:couch:
I may have to go back to work to get some rest.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently retired from the day job of 40 years. 50 to 60 hour weeks were the norm and being on call. Our "best" customer was 74 miles from my house. Lots of 2 hour drives at 2AM. Been running 2 small businesses for about 15 years. Since retiring taking them full time plus everybody wants to do handyman stuff. Not sure if that qualifies me as a couch potato:couch:
I may have to go back to work to get some rest.

I'm not doing small engine side jobs anymore. Little profit to be gained and, unlike cars, I never repaired them for a living so I'm really slow at it. I don't mind doing my own stuff at my leisure, but not taking any more jobs once those I already have agreed to are finished.

On the topic of the tires, I'm going to order just new rims and try that first. The tires held fluid perfectly until the rims rusted away. Even if I could get one more year out of the tires that would be great.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
"Been running 2 small businesses for about 15 years. Since retiring taking them full time plus everybody wants to do handyman stuff."

Haveing a job not being able to pitch the watch out the window and smash the alarm colck is called working.

Retired people do not wear a watch, they smashed the alarm clock and do pretty much what they want when they want.

Like dismount tires from a tractor today. Piddle in the garden tomorrow. Trans plant some trees the next day and on the forth day mount tractor tires on NEW rims.

In other words being really retired means you have more time than money with the fixed income.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not doing small engine side jobs anymore. Little profit to be gained and, unlike cars, I never repaired them for a living so I'm really slow at it. I don't mind doing my own stuff at my leisure, but not taking any more jobs once those I already have agreed to are finished.

On the topic of the tires, I'm going to order just new rims and try that first. The tires held fluid perfectly until the rims rusted away. Even if I could get one more year out of the tires that would be great.

Well if you're looking for one more year out the tires then just and fill them with some foam.

Then worry about new rubber and wheels later.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I changed both rears and welded the rims last summer on my TO -20 Fergy .They make a tire breaker for a little over 100 bucks that will work on a lawn mower to a back hoe . The tires and tubes cost me about 600 bucks,flea bay delivered to the house made in India ..That thing ,three tire irons ,a dead blow hammer and a strong back even for an old fart and off they came . I've got a tire sledge but it is not as handy as the breaker .

To remount I used "poly water " which is a wire pulling compound .In essence industrial grade KY Jelly ,synthetic maiden oil quite frankly .I had access to 5 gallon buckets of the stuff but I suppose liquid soap would have worked . Unless I poke a hole in them at 72 years old I'll never have to do it again . I'll get a picture of that thing this afternoon if I think about it .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did change one 38" on the tractor .John-Deere A .Splined axle ,I couldn't budge it .The tire was junk so I just drove it flat and kept ridding the wheel brake until it broke loose .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as ballast or wheel weights on a little Fergy ,it has a three point hitch,they aren't going to help much unless you hitch to the draw bar instead of the three point .New tires get a better bite any way ..
My other Fergy has weights and barrel of concrete on the back to counter balance the Davis front end loader .If not a good load will tip it right up on the front tires . You aren't going any where then . The barrel is held up by chains and the draw bar is clear in case I need to pull something .
That loader will lift about 2500 pounds,way too big for a little tractor .I had to plate both sides of the center axle with 3/8" plate steel to keep it from bending . I think it's got wide 15 or 16" rims on the front and I have old Jeep tires with 70 PSI .They just barely clear the steering arm on the top .The little skinny OEM tires can't handle that much weight .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think ol' Harry would admire your ingenuity, even if you're pushing way past the design limits!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Harry put one over on Henry .Harry had the marketing and Henry made the 9N Ford and Harry paid less than it cost to make them .Henry terminated the agreement and Harry made the TE 20 in England for a few years then moved production to Dearborn right in Henry's back yard .Through out the feud with new models Harry was always one step ahead of Henry .
Harry started out as a salesman for John Deere .When he brain storm the first three point hitch it was for I think David Brown in England .The idea caught on and Henry wanted a piece of the action .The rest is pretty much history .They even had three point assemblies for Jeeps .Fact my OC 6 Oliver crawler early in it's life had one .

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Your daughter looks to be doing a fine job stuff the intertube in the tire.

My self never felt the job was so hard to pay the kind of money the tire store wants to do the job.
You have to wresle the things in a pick up or on a trailer and take them to the shop. then wait there till they get around to them or make the trip home then back again to pick them up than back home to wrestle them off the trailer out of the pickup and on the tractor.