Best way to change rear tractor tires?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey folks. My little Fergie has the dreaded liquid filled rear tires, and the right rear has almost totally rusted through. I need to replace that rim and put regular air filled tubes in both. The tire size is 12-28. Is this doable with hand tools? Are there any tire tools in particular I should buy? I've done riding mower tires with a pair of small spoons just for that purpose, however I've never worked on any that big. Would I be better off just taking them to a tire shop? Thanks.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
4:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey folks. My little Fergie has the dreaded liquid filled rear tires, and the right rear has almost totally rusted through. I need to replace that rim and put regular air filled tubes in both. The tire size is 12-28. Is this doable with hand tools? Are there any tire tools in particular I should buy? I've done riding mower tires with a pair of small spoons just for that purpose, however I've never worked on any that big. Would I be better off just taking them to a tire shop? Thanks.

Now this is just my belief, but life's to short to change tires by hand lol. IdI be down to the tire shop.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I've done thousands of auto tires in my life but never anything off road other than riding mowers. I 'spose I will carefully consider my options when the rims get here. Another question: the back tires on my tractor are 12.4x28. Far as I know, the wheels are original and supposed to be 10x28, kind of hard to measure with the tires still on. If I get new 10x28 rims, should the 12.4x28 tires fit on them just fine?

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You will not like the calcium ... Even with glove it gets everywhere and with calcium pumped out residue will chap you out fairly quick....Odds are you will need new tubes and I would advise new tubes even if reusing the old tires and make sure if you have some one do them the new tubes are backed by installer Had a tire repaired on a JD 480 and my tire guy ( GOOD FRIEND) replaced 3 of them before he changed brands and things were right. I was laid up and The lift never moved an inch (Or started) for several months but the tube (s) separated Nick was no small time operator just got a bad run he figures.... They make a mechanical and hydraulic bead breaker for tractor and loader tire but a wedge for tires or pogo stick will get you off to a better start give the tire service a call and ask for a quote or just a ballpark price they figure by the inch and know what they will charge before they start. A rusty rim might raise an eyebrow. Don't be surprised if the bead on your tire are compromised from calcium and new ones are in your future. Night be logical to find a way to dispose of your rims tires and save on dismount etc. and go with all new or some ones used and ready to go. You will have to do your own math. I am no expert but have done a few hundred tires through the years And more :( to do in the future

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I've done thousands of auto tires in my life but never anything off road other than riding mowers. I 'spose I will carefully consider my options when the rims get here. Another question: the back tires on my tractor are 12.4x28. Far as I know, the wheels are original and supposed to be 10x28, kind of hard to measure with the tires still on. If I get new 10x28 rims, should the 12.4x28 tires fit on them just fine?

Should be fine.

So are you putting the fluid back in the new tires?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, yeah I will definitely put new tubes in 'em. No way in hell would I put that calcium $hit in my tires again, one of the stoopidest ideas ever.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, yeah I will definitely put new tubes in 'em. No way in hell would I put that calcium $hit in my tires again, one of the stoopidest ideas ever.
Calcium has its' place but I try to avoid it ...

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a slide hammer for breaking beads. It use to be my grandpa's then my Dads and now mine. I wouldnt be caught without it when needing to change a tire. Every farm I use to work on had one just like it. It also acts as a large spoon if needed but normal spoons usually do the trick. I find larger tires easier than smaller ones.
You absolutely need a tube if you are putting calcium back in it. Remember, you dont need to fill the entire tire, maybe half way. Just roll the tire so the valve stem is a 3 or 9 o'clock.
20190423_134728.jpg 20190423_135429.jpg

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a slide hammer for breaking beads. It use to be my grandpa's then my Dads and now mine. I wouldnt be caught without it when needing to change a tire. Every farm I use to work on had one just like it. It also acts as a large spoon if needed but normal spoons usually do the trick. I find larger tires easier than smaller ones.
You absolutely need a tube if you are putting calcium back in it. Remember, you dont need to fill the entire tire, maybe half way. Just roll the tire so the valve stem is a 3 or 9 o'clock.
View attachment 178240 View attachment 178241
That is what I call a pogo stick (slide hammer bead breaker?) They really help getting the hydraulic bead breaker in place I have used a pogo only but I got lazy having a Hyd. bead breaker

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here the tire shop is cheeaper than tools. If I could get it to a tire shop I would take it. I have wheel weights on one of my tractors that are hard to deal with and lots of trouble to haul it to a tire shop so I got a mobile guy to do it. It was a little higher than a tire shop but was well worth it.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d say your tire will say for 10 inch rim

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a long gravel drive way so the first order of bussness it to place the tractor with the valve stem up and remove the shreader valve or even the extention if you have one. then roll the tractor so the valve stem is down and the cloride is squirting out.
When the colride stops coming out remove the rim/wheel from the tractor.
back a pick up where the trailer hitch is over the tire near the bead. Set a jack in place (bottle jack/ high lift or other with a base) as close to the rim and bead as you can get it. Apply pressure with the jack till the bead breaks. then flip the tire and break the bead on the opsite side.

Now the hard work will start, with a crow bar best if you have two.
black-crowbar-isolated-on-white-260nw-1071101285.jpg

Pry the bead over the rim if your saving the tires. If not use a saws all and cut the bead and tire totaly thru.

To reinstall find a good clean area (I use the grarage approch.) lay the tire on the rim Orient it for proper direction. With a supply of dollar store soap soap thre bead down real well. set one side ot the tire over the bead then with the crow bars start leavering The bead over the rim.
Helps to have a good rubber hammer to help slide the bead over the rim also.

3433.jpg

Once you have one side installed inseart the tube make sure you have the valve stem angled properly and insert it thru the hole. Then stuff the tube inside the tire.
Here caution should be used.

You don't want any bad wrinkles in the tube. You can try to fiddle with tjhe tube to remove them or air the tube up to remove them. I use the air up method.
Remove the air then I install a valve stem tool so I do not lose the valve stem inside the rim.
41NSpDAvmeL._SX425_.jpg

Then soap the second side of the tire down with that dollar store soap. REMEMBER THESE ARE OFF ROAD TIRES.

Start prying the bead over the lip of the rim. Use that rubber hammer on the bead a lot. becareful when prying you do not pinch the tube.

When finished air the tires up. I use 7 pounds as a starter poundage of air. Drive the tractor a bit and see how the tires sit. If they look to flat give them about 3 more pounds.

Most all mine work great at 7 pounds however.

Now you have did one jump on the second one.

Piece of cake with the crow bars rubber hammer and valve stem tools.

:D Al

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I drive the front wheel of the pickup on the tire to break the bead. If that doesn't break it a bottle Jack under a big tractor differential works. Once the bead it broken I find the bigger tires not bad to change with long spoons. What I hate are the 5" front tires on mowers . If it is a rusty mess from calcium good luck. Might be better off and less cussing to just go for new rims and tires.