Country flag

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, is it worth it? For a cord a year, probably not. For 10-15/year like I do? Absolutely. I love having it in my hand. It makes my job easier and more fun. I suppose the breaking point for cost vs benefit is in there somewhere. I don't think you'd have any problem buying one for $180 and trying out then selling it for $160 if you don't like it. It's not like they ever go on sale.

Or more, I see gently used GB's auctioned on eBay and sometimes they sell for more then what they costs at most online retailers. It's crazy!

I sold my GB maul on a eBay auction, it sold for more then I had payed for it.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or more, I see gently used GB's auctioned on eBay and sometimes they sell for more then what they costs at most online retailers. It's crazy!

I sold my GB maul on a eBay auction, it sold for more then I had payed for it.

That's nuts.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you decide to try one- go with the Husq branded one- its half price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121562055035?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I might have try one of them.

Found a review online a guy did of the GB vs wetterlings/husq one. I like that the wetterlings does not have the concave sides like the GB.

3-Splitting-Mauls-Profile.jpg

https://www.thetoolmerchants.com/splitting-axe-review/

2 years ago I broke down and bought a DHT 28-ton splitter. I still use my mauls, just not as much as I once did. Last Saturday I had the spiltter out and a few axes & mauls. I split about 3 cords of wood. I used the mauls & and my splitter.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might have try one of them.

Found a review online a guy did of the GB vs wetterlings/husq one. I like that the wetterlings does not have the concave sides like the GB.

3-Splitting-Mauls-Profile.jpg

https://www.thetoolmerchants.com/splitting-axe-review/

2 years ago I broke down and bought a DHT 28-ton splitter. I still use my mauls, just not as much as I once did. Last Saturday I had the spiltter out and a few axes & mauls. I split about 3 cords of wood. I used the mauls & and my splitter.

Good review. It's interesting to me that he loved the GB splitting axe, but didn't like the maul because of the concave cheeks. It looks to me like the axe has them too, but maybe not as much. In my experience, the GB maul gets stuck a lot less than the X27. I find the Fiskars gets stuck a lot because the bit narrows dramatically where the handle meets it. It's almost like it's barbed. I find mine stuck there relatively often, and have thought about welding some extensions on it to prevent it from doing that.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I split 20 to 25 cord a year with my Fiskars X27. It very rarely if ever gets stuck. If it dies, I use a wedge and 2 lb hammer and break it loose. It is the best splitter that I have used to date. I have about 15 Mauls/Axes. But I don't have any expensive ones. They are all cheap ones. Lol

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I split 20 to 25 cord a year with my Fiskars X27. It very rarely if ever gets stuck. If it dies, I use a wedge and 2 lb hammer and break it loose. It is the best splitter that I have used to date. I have about 15 Mauls/Axes. But I don't have any expensive ones. They are all cheap ones. Lol

What kinda wood do you typically split?

IMO I think the species of wood being split makes up a bigger part of how easily/hard it splits, rather then type/brand of maul or axe being used.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What kinda wood do you typically split?

IMO I think the species of wood being split makes up a bigger part of how easily/hard it splits, rather then type/brand of maul or axe being used.
I've tried some of the fiskars. Not much luck need the weight to help open it up. Almost everything I cut comes from hedgerows exposed to wind. The grain gets twisted bad. I cut lots of cherry, willow oak, pin oaks, gum, stuff I cannot Id, etc only thing that splits good is maple

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent point. Mainly hard wood. Oak, maple, walnut, locust.

Cigmaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I know if you can use a monster maul for more than a few hours you're a bad man! I've got a buddy who's in his 70's still splits with one and has for many decades. He's 6'3 240 pounds and at half his age I wouldn't try em lol.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Maybe thats the key to staying young?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Use a lot of fuel that way though.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yikes. Maybe time for a real log splitter for you?

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gots one.. not up to picking up more than 75 #s rite now.
That burr oak snapped at main fork , farmer said to take the whole tree b4 it all falls in his field.
54"at da stump, dropped it in da treeline in case I didn't get it cleaned.
Yuoos guys wouldn't believe would ya that I picked up 45' log and set it on bucks so I could noodle it?:pesas:

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
32 to fell,24 ta noodle. Actually I rolled the tree down on them blocks.
Pretty good eh?
I prbly should have sumone along when I'm doing that crazy chit.
Safety,safety,safety.....only takes 1 lil oops, ya know.
But I go slow, try to think out my moves b4 I make em. This is a hobby, no need to get rammy!
Always looking for big trees, luv when da ground shakes when they land.