Best splitting maul no axes

RonL

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
During the past 30 years the mauls that I have had the most experience with have been an 8 lb wood handle Stanley, a 6 pound fiberglass handle no name, a 12 pound monster maul, an X25, and an X27.

The first thing you may want to figure out is how you are going to split. If you are going to split on the ground, for safety reasons, you may want to have a longer handle. I am 5'8" and with a 36" handle maul the head lands just in front of my feet when I stand up straight. On a block, if you plan it so that the cutting edge always buries itself in the block, a shorter handle may work. The tire trick works also.

RonL

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the past couple of years I have been obsessing about splitting wood by hand. It was going to be one of my cycles of fitness training. I have watched many U-Tube videos of people splitting. One of the things I noticed was that there was bounce of the wood in many of the videos. To my mind bounce is wasted energy. On my property up North I had used my backhoe to scrape off the topsoil in an area. I built it back up with road base and packed it down. On top of this I laid down a scrap 4' X 4' piece of 3/4" exterior plywood. I think this made a huge difference. Try going out to an area that has topsoil. Jump up and land solidly. Now try this on a packed driveway. You'll feel your teeth rattling.

RonL

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing that makes a difference is the size and type of wood. A huge 22" tall round will split differently than a small 16" tall round. Splitting mauls, like axes, have evolved in different areas of the world depending on the type of trees that are native. The Leveraxe works well when splitting straight grain birch into small pieces to feed a masonry stove. Doesn't work well on wood that even a hydraulic splitter finds difficult to split.

RonL

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found the X27 to be a good all around splitter for most of the wood I split. On difficult pieces I buried it. On difficult pieces I had to go insane and wail the crap out of it.

If you like the Fiskars, the X27 and the 8 lb Iso-core might be a good combination. I have no personal experience with the Iso-core.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a cheapo 8 lb on here but the Husky axe gets the nod most of the time. I don't even remember where the x27 is now. My 5 lb Dayton pattern Council axe splits straight grain stuff pretty good if it's short.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel like an 8 may be too much for me. I'm a fan of 6 pounders. I split a good bit many cords a year I often wonder though does a 200 dollar maul split any better than a 30 dollar one. Almost wonder how could a more expensive one do better?

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I feel like an 8 may be too much for me. I'm a fan of 6 pounders. I split a good bit many cords a year I often wonder though does a 200 dollar maul split any better than a 30 dollar one. Almost wonder how could a more expensive one do better?
I doubt the additional cost can by justified unless you like that its "a hand forged timeless piece of fine craftsman art worthy of becoming a timeless family keep sake to pass from one generation to the next" type of thing. Hell, I'll probably bust the handle near the 6th cord I split, I'll pass.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpg I don't miss very often as that makes me work way more... I think that sucker is six pounds? Haven't started firewoodin yet but this guy is all but finished. I don't actually know how to rehandle but I may try. I feel ill kill one of those expensive guys......

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a hydraulic splitter but basically never use it. I have to hook mine to a tractor.... that gets to be a pain especially when ground gets wet. I'd rather unload in a pile and be done.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 48354 I don't miss very often as that makes me work way more... I think that sucker is six pounds? Haven't started firewoodin yet but this guy is all but finished. I don't actually know how to rehandle but I may try. I feel ill kill one of those expensive guys......

it's a 13-14 dollar lesson for a handle. I like a round grommet wedge in the head instead of a metal wedge- like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121692313119?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Heres a couple good videos. the second video is very informative

or if your feeling froggy

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 48354 I don't miss very often as that makes me work way more... I think that sucker is six pounds? Haven't started firewoodin yet but this guy is all but finished. I don't actually know how to rehandle but I may try. I feel ill kill one of those expensive guys......

For sure though, fiberglass handles do not belong on striking tools bc of the vibes on impact. Give me a good Ash or Hickory Handle.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a gransfors bruks maul for a while, I found it got stuck in the round, more then it split. Loved the quality of it! Just didn't split the species of wood I needed it to.

DSCN8700.JPG

I also had a Gedore Ochsenkopf maul for a while, I also found it got stuck in the round, more then it split. Good quality maul. Just didn't split the species of wood I split.

DSCN9731.JPG

I've also had/tried several other brands of splitting mauls. I would have loved to have kept the gransfors bruks, or a few of the others I've had. I'm sure that they are great splitters, in other species of wood.

It would be nice if something other then Elm grew around where I live :(

My personal favorite, without question, that just flat out splits anything put in front of it, is my Sotz monster maul, 17 lbs splits everything I need it to.

DSCN9958.JPG

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a gransfors bruks maul for a while, I found it got stuck in the round, more then it split. Loved the quality of it! Just didn't split the species of wood I needed it to.

View attachment 48362

I also had a Gedore Ochsenkopf maul for a while, I also found it got stuck in the round, more then it split. Good quality maul. Just didn't split the species of wood I split.

View attachment 48363

I've also had/tried several other brands of splitting mauls. I would have loved to have kept the gransfors bruks, or a few of the others I've had. I'm sure that they are great splitters, in other species of wood.

It would be nice if something other then Elm grew around where I live :(

My personal favorite, without question, that just flat out splits anything put in front of it, is my Sotz monster maul, 17 lbs splits everything I need it to.

View attachment 48364

Have you tried a Wetterlings? They have a longer/slimmer head than the Mueller, Ox, or Gransfors. I haven't stuck mine once.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you tried a Wetterlings? They have a longer/slimmer head than the Mueller, Ox, or Gransfors. I haven't stuck mine once.

No never tried one of them. I've watched that video a few times. I came real close to buying one, but I didn't.

I had a hard time selling my gransfors bruks maul, just because it was such a fine looking tool :)

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice video. Too bad you didn't have any others to do a comparison with.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I know how you feel. I felt the same way when my buddy bought a Gransfors Bruks. He buys lots of expensive silly things and I thought this was just another example. I grew splitting wood with a 6# maul and a single bit axe for straight grained stuff. I told him that it was a lavish expenditure, and that I could split wood just fine with a much cheaper tool.

Then I split about 6 cords of wood with his. I was wrong. It is a better tool. It works better, in my opinion. It feels better. Also, the steel collar protects the handle. I don't overstrike and miss the round hardly ever, but sometimes i split a round in half, then if it is still standing I will split the halves into pieces. I could split the close side and then walk around the round, or I can split the far side as the same time. Because i have a protective collar I split both sides without walking around. Also, the collar allows me to let other people try out the maul, which otherwise I wouldn't do. My maul has split over 50 cords of wood, and the handle is in perfect condition.

So, is it worth it? For a cord a year, probably not. For 10-15/year like I do? Absolutely. I love having it in my hand. It makes my job easier and more fun. I suppose the breaking point for cost vs benefit is in there somewhere. I don't think you'd have any problem buying one for $180 and trying out then selling it for $160 if you don't like it. It's not like they ever go on sale.