Best splitting maul no axes

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked at it as an investment. Gett'em while you still can. Pass'em on to generation to generation.
They do swing real nice though. It hits better than the Fiskars X27. Much better metal. If you split by hand, then treat yourself to that Splitting Ax. I will use the Splitting Ax for 90% of all my splitting. They are really that nice.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve seen some nice custom heads out there just hard for me to buy things like that online without really looking at them. I know the gb stuff is supposed to be chrome. If I was into it I wouldn’t be afraid of buying online from them

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did a real quick one. But I need to get a good stick so I can do a decent comparison. Just trying to find the right tree. Lol
Plus its COLD as hell out.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 103648 Im leaning toward a prandi splittig axe few bucks cheaper but still german made 4.5 lbs 32 in
I have a similar one, bounces off knots.
Compared to my favorite ax it requires a lot more swing force to go through anything, knotty or not.
It likes to get stuck in straight grain rounds, I'm talking splitting oak.

It feels like a failed design to me, but it may work for others and/or other kind of usage.

Can't attach pictures of mine as I'm not on my desktop PC.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Home D and Lowes have those head styles on fiberglass handles. I used one for a few years. They work well in hard wood. No problems at all. But I broke the handle from the head. Not because I hit the handle on wood. I am just a heavy striker. I bought the Fiskars X27 after that.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL. That thing is heavy. I am already getting back pain just from looking at it. LOL
I found that the faster swing speed splits much better than the big heavy headed mauls. A lighter weight tool with faster swing speed will win out along the course of a day. I can swing them all day and not get tired, verses swing a heavy one for a short while and getting fatigued.