Best hand held tach for the $$$?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been wanting one for a while, and picked up a couple of these: http://m.ebay.com/itm/181996140968

The battery is supposed to be replaceable, it will be interesting to see if the units themselves outlast the original battery.
I have had 3 sealed ones for over two years and they are stihl going. My concern with replacable battery is water damage/internal corrsion. I am not sure how mine would be going now if they had a battery opening. Those look good in the link above having more features with a menu.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently aquired a DTI Fast Tach. I am satisfied with its performance, but if I could do it again I would get DTI 20k that can be wired or wireless. I will say that the Fast Tach picks up the ignition signal pretty well with only a few instances of lost signal in a tuning cut.

kr5258

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dropped my DTI TT-20k and messed up the display. Contacted DTI and returned the tach for repair. $15 for the repair and it's like new again. Can't beat that for customer service!

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
7:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive used the tiny tach and works connection which are pretty good but my favorite has been this Stihl EDT 8 which also reads mtronics/autotune20160302_202730.jpg

wigglesworth

Knocker of midget farts......
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Dropped my DTI TT-20k and messed up the display. Contacted DTI and returned the tach for repair. $15 for the repair and it's like new again. Can't beat that for customer service!

Mine did the same thing. I was told it was out of warranty. Come to find out, I had several cold solder joints on the display. I resoldered the 1100 something pins, and it's been good to go ever since.

The wired option is nice...

Windthrown

GFY Certified!
Local time
5:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a DTI TT-20k that I got from Edge and Engine many years ago. Still works great, it is wired or wireless, and holds the fastest RPM. The battery in them can also be replaced. No issues with it, it has always worked, and simple to use. I have lost the wire kit for it, but I have never used or needed it. They cost about $100 clams delivered though. I use it mainly to confirm my ear-tuned H screw setting, but also to set the L/A and L screws.

Burple at WOT out of the wood. Clean sound at WOT in the wood.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a fast tach, had a tiny tach, and also the el cheapo China tack off of amazon for $13. The el cheapo works fine for max rpm and idle setting. It just doesn't refresh as fast.

sld961

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Another happy DTI TT-20K owner here.

radio

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spend $120 or so on the Oppama PET-1100R and get the best inductive Tach on the market. Buy once cry once.

Last edited:

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran mine over. Don`t ask :roto2lol: I`m calling them in a bit to see if there's anything they can do...

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 2 cheap OZ USA tachs. They are supposed to be hard wired but the tach will work if it's close to the spark plug.

They are very close in readings whether hard wired or close to the plug like this photo shows.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like my weird 1980's looking DTI TT20k
Accurate and reliable ......... whats not to like ?

I would like to know as well. I was thinking of ordering this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FOOAXY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any thoughts on this one?
I use those, I love them !!

The hard wire units are generally more accurate. I like my dti 20k a lot. I never regret paying a little extra for quality tools.
Words of wisdom !!!!

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 2 cheap OZ USA tachs. They are supposed to be hard wired but the tach will work if it's close to the spark plug.

They are very close in readings whether hard wired or close to the plug like this photo shows.

I have one of these also, by far the best 'cheap' ($25 on ebay) tach I've tried and I've tried a bunch. Seems comparable performance wise to the various not so cheap ones I've used and has all the features that count to me.

From an auction listing;
  • Fits all internal combustion engines utilizing ignition wire
  • Green backlit LCD
  • Shows RPM while engine is running and hours with engine off
  • Records Max RPM
  • Over-Rev and RPM alerts can be set
  • Replaceable battery with battery life indicator
  • Maintenance reminder feature is programmable from 0-200 hours
  • IP65 Water resistant, some penetration permitted.Do not subject to direct spray from hose or pressure washer.
  • Easy fast installation , no power or ground required
  • Adjustable RPM refresh rate from 0.5 seconds to 1.0 seconds
  • Max 20K RPM
  • Max 99,999 hours, Total cumulative hours are non-resetable
  • 1 Year manufactures warranty

Mathewsdxt75

Learning OPE member.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I bought a tach from flebay. I haven't tried it out yet, but I already hate it. I should've bought a wireless fasttach. Live and learn.

6PTsocket

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The TT 20 is not widely distributed. You can buy it direct or save $10 and shipping and get it from Amick for $99.99. I discovered that it is also sold under a Briggs and Stratton part number for around $200. They don't even bother to rebrand it. It says DTI TT20K right on the front. The thing really looks home made but I am close to dropping the hammer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk