High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Best chain for hardwood?

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
8:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I cut mainly hickory and oak. I am on a quest to find the best chain and set up.
I am about due for some new chains.

Right now I am using an Oregon full chisel on my 60 cc saw filed at 25deg with 10 deg down angle and .35 depth Guage.
On my 192 I use the Pico. 43 simi chisel. 30 deg 0 deg sown and .25 depth
Sometimes I seem to get good life and other information get half a tank and my chainsaw is already degrading fast.
All my wood is clean. I have only hit 2 pieces of metal in 20 years one near a fence row and the other I think remnants of a dear stand.
What are you thoughts.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
semi chisel is what i would use if i could find it easier to sharpen and doesn't dull as fast like full chisel.
if you want the longest lasting chain use a carbide but one warning they cut slower.

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Semi works good but full chisel will cut faster. I prefer full chisel square ground, if you want to last a long time .404 is a good option with a 70cc saw of choice
Well unfortunately I have not learned how to square file yet. Lol

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like carlton full chisel holds a real nice edge longer than oregon. Nothing wrong with stihl it just files sorta bad. I think semi would be a waste of your time. I use lots of semi and I like it but no need in clean wood. I don't bother with square I run around 30 on the top I free hand so I never measure just eye it up. If you're asking what chain I'd recommend you try the carlton

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run chisel square ground on my 6100 in the same conditions as you. It is amazing how that saw cuts over the regular grind. It's worth learning to file square.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dolmar (Oregon) 3/8", .058", round filed chisel - works good for me in dirty oak & beech, thus it should be great in clean wood.

For oak & beech I set the rakers to ~.025-.050" depending on saw and wood diameter.
Going too low on the rakers in thinner wood makes for a unpleasant cutting experience, leaving conservative raker height is no fun with my PS-7900 as her power goes unused.

I have chisel Carlton loops sitting in their boxes waiting to be tried, as well as a Stihl Duro3 (carbide) loop.

I have a chisel TriLink loop in usage and I must say it is the weirdest chain ever!
It won't self feed worth poop (even after heavy modifications), but it will cut through half an inch of dry dirt covering the logs bark and still cut straight with usage of the saws bucking spikes - for another tank of fuel, or two in the same dirt covered wood pile! o_O
DSC03129.JPG

I also have some semi chisel TriLink loops waiting to be tried out - I don't expect much off them though.

Dolmar (Oregon) chisel chain, rakers down ~.040", Dolmar PS-7900 in pear, 7.92x57 bullet steel jacketed with steel core:
DSC00186.JPG DSC00188.JPG DSC00194.JPG
I finished bucking and noodling the pear trunk after hitting the bullet.
The chain didn't take any significant damage, no teeth lost nor bent.

I really like me some Dolmar chain, but they are priced very high in my area, that is why I decided to give others a try too - unfortunately I have no firewood logs to try the loops on. :(

Summary, I have following loops:
- chisel: Dolmar , Oregon , Carlton , TriLink
- semi chisel: TriLink
- round tooth: Dolmar 3/8" LowProfile , Lux Pro 3/8" LowProfile
- special chains: Stihl Duro3 (carbide tipped, semi chisel) , PowerSharp 3/8" LowProfile (chisel?) , EDITED/ADDED Stihl Duro3 3/8" Picco/LowProfile (carbide tipped, semi chisel)

The Dolmar chisel chains are really good but pricey, great bucking & noodling speed,they don't like dirt at all.
The TriLink chisel chain is an oddball far from recommendable, holds its very poor edge in dirt infested logs - requires a strong saw.
The Dolmar 3/8" LowProfile round tooth chain is the only one I ever used on my Sachs-Dolmar 105, cutting speed is average at best, but holds its edge quite well - *s-wordty to sharpen.
All the other chains I have yet to give a try throughout the next couple years. :rolleyes:

I am just a homeowner firewood hack, I don't use my saws on a daily, or even weekly basis.

Last edited:

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I run chisel square ground on my 6100 in the same conditions as you. It is amazing how that saw cuts over the regular grind. It's worth learning to file square.
I am now trying to figure out how to use the file n joint to square file. We will see lol

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Square ground at 15deg holds up very well in hard dead wood, cuts smooth and fast.

Semi works good but full chisel will cut faster. I prefer full chisel square ground, if you want to last a long time .404 is a good option with a 70cc saw of choice

OK guys I think I have modified a file (small triangle 6 sided)
And an old file n joint (different brand) jig
What angles should I be going for in hard woods?

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
For someone who is pro and he work in forestry conditions and dont have the luxury of the work bench or other similar sharpening tools he just need a good quality chain but to be easy for sharpening

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tell ya i file by hand but I have a grandberg file n join that I use to keep the angles good....it actually will get a chain VERY sharp too..... I use RM at 30 degree top plate and I only cut hardwood...I will use Stihl RS in cleaner hardwood and it does great.... I have never experimented with different top plate angles, but I would try 25 degree... I sharpen frequently and bring extra chains so I don't have to sharpen in the field if I can get away from it....

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like 20 degree top plate as a minimum. That will last longer. The other angles I dot really know. I never check any of them. I file by eye and muscle memory
I am now searching through the 800 square file threads getting some photos to compair too. I got an ole junk chain to practice on. So who knows maybe I will get a chain filed.
How much longer should a square file keep its edge vs a full chisel round file?

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also would like to learn how to square file..... I know if someone that was good at showed me, I would pick it up..... I know it takes along time to master it, but I like to see how people do things, then go from there.... There is some videos around with people square sharpening....

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can get 5 tanks or more if I don't hit dirt

I just watched one of your videos on square filing lol.... If you don't mind me asking, what file do you use and were do you get them....