Beater saw?

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
4:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's a decent small beater saw, aka cheap but at least somewhat adequate? You know, one you might lend out in a pinch, or one that might be used by variety of dingbats.
I realize craigslist is probably the way to go if you know how to inspect the saw before purchase, but I'm curious if there are new, cheapish saws that you all would consider. If not, by all means, some suggestions on CL strategies are more than welcome!

I'd like to know which, if any, sub-$200 options are out there. There's no way I'm loaning out my saws without me attached, and sometimes it would be nice to have that option. Plus, a beater at camp that might be used/abused by who knows who to clear the road from the inevitable blowdown would be perfect.

Oh, and yeah, yeah, I know, "I'd gladly lend out any (insert brand here), even to my brother in law!"

:jaja-no::pancarta:

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw a new Remington (appeared to be a RedMax clone) at Lowes today for $199.95 and at first glance I was very impressed. It was 46cc's and had a pro style case and what looked like a decent chain on it.

Joe

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do see saws hovering right around the $200 mark...

Gawd, even that makes me shudder thinking about people without a clue taking hold of it. Both from a "me-no-want-you-break-my-chit" side and from a "Yikes, that looks like it hurts." point...

Motorhead

Cantre Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do see saws hovering right around the $200 mark...

Gawd, even that makes me shudder thinking about people without a clue taking hold of it. Both from a "me-no-want-you-break-my-chit" side and from a "Yikes, that looks like it hurts." point...
All the poulan saws 3314 3816 3316 4218 etc have the same 42 cc engine in them,You can find those very cheap.

echoshawn

Blinker fluid
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Older or newer saws? Newer, find a cheap earthquake. Hog the hell outta it with a dremel. I was never let down by mine, and it bounced around in the back of my truck year round.
For older, poulan 3400 on the bigger side, or an old poulan micro series for small. Bulletproof, easy to work on, and you can find runners all day long sub $100. $50 is more typical for 3400s, 20-40 for micros.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have a 421. Finding a good used for half price of new would be a prize!

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Homelite XL with a 16" bar, tuned up fat as a pig, smokes like a freight train, stack muffler, loud as all get out, and enough vibration to remove dentures and tooth fillings. Reliable as can be, plenty of torque but slow enough to keep people out of trouble.Generally they are more than happy to bring it back, brother in law cringes every time I hand it to him.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
3:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
i bet the bar cost more than the saw.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A buddy just sent me a eBay link of refurbished poulan saws for $80

If I were looking to buy a cheap saw to loan out, I'd look at a option like that.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A buddy just sent me a eBay link of refurbished poulan saws for $80

If I were looking to buy a cheap saw to loan out, I'd look at a option like that.
Wow, that is a deal! Will check eBay out, as well as CL.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love the saws you guys are posting pics of! Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge or ability to turn a beat up saw into something worthwhile, like you guys.:clap: