Basement table 272xp build

Huskygasaxe

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First thing I did was crank seals. The Oiler side got the new rubber o ring as well. I have reused them before with success, but I had a new one so in it went. Yes that is a carpenter claw hammer lol. I did not want to go to the shop to get a real hammer, it’s cold out. I found a creepy old film negative years ago and I kept it,,Not sure why but it works great to slip the seal over the shaft to prevent damaging the seal lip.B622B37F-22AF-4610-84C8-8825404BDE18.jpegD2A31538-EC85-46BF-8545-CD2AE687396A.jpeg

Huskygasaxe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At Christmas Hl supply had hyway 272 top end kits on sale for $50. Why not? I’m a firewood guy and it will fill the truck box with wood I am sure. Base gasket removal left me sitting at 5 thou clearance. I got the piston cut at what I thought was a 25 thou. Turns out it is just over 15 thou using the micrometer on the bench. Leaves me with a total clearance of 20 thou. Hope it’s enough. No real method to my madness other than wanting to do a base gasket delete. I’m learning. Oem circlips and wrist pin bearing got reused.

Huskygasaxe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.020" squish is good for a high performance saw. If your mixture and tune settings let more carbon build up then maybe .030 would be a better gap to start with.
I understand what you are saying. After I break it in I usually tune to the point it just barely 4 strokes out of the cut. Good success with this for me and 40:1 premium fuel always fresh. I always put $5 in the truck before I fill up my cans because I am so paranoid about getting the regular left in the hose haha. We are going to try it and see. I take the muffler off frequently to see what’s happening in the cylinder just to learn.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
6:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I understand what you are saying. After I break it in I usually tune to the point it just barely 4 strokes out of the cut. Good success with this for me and 40:1 premium fuel always fresh. I always put $5 in the truck before I fill up my cans because I am so paranoid about getting the regular left in the hose haha. We are going to try it and see. I take the muffler off frequently to see what’s happening in the cylinder just to learn.

Thanks for that paranoid thought.

Huskygasaxe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey everyone let’s talk decompression valves. The oem cylinder that came on the saw had no decomp. I would like to use one on the new cylinder. I have an oem one from a junk husqvarna 450. A much smaller saw I realize,will this valve work or should I get the correct larger decomp?DEFB0C1E-3E99-4027-B63B-DCCC8435BFBB.jpeg

Huskygasaxe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
0C94EE6C-FF2A-4CB3-8224-F589A8A4769A.jpeg 556AF1FF-FCFB-4735-8BE2-D33ABAF3F4D7.jpeg 3DD64BC0-3437-46E9-B410-65C5B2BEF5C4.jpeg 0C94EE6C-FF2A-4CB3-8224-F589A8A4769A.jpeg Found the info on decomp a I needed in the current thread. Got the top end set on. Whipped the cylinder down with oil. Left the piston dry so it didn’t leak on my motoseal.Had the carb soaking in combustion chamber cleaner. Blew it out. I notice the 260 tilly had a jet in place of the Welch plug I have seen on smaller ones. I keep an old set of diaphragms that I know are assembled right to use as reference because I have put them in wrong before. Ran into a snag on the bottom intake bolt. Going to cut a hex key down to fit. In hindsight I should of installed the whole set up to the cylinder first but it would of been hard to get the throttle and mixture screw screwdriver guide in? Why the jet on the carb instead of the Welch plug? Thanks for the interest.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
7:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which brake do you have on the saw?

If it’s metal, you can’t run a decomp.

And yes, it’s easier to assemble the intake and carb already installed on the jug. Adding as assembled unit is easiest.

As for Welch plug, that’s the low side circuit of the carb. The one with the jet installed may have no other route to fill the area. I’m no carb pro though.

Huskygasaxe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which brake do you have on the saw?

If it’s metal, you can’t run a decomp.

And yes, it’s easier to assemble the intake and carb already installed on the jug. Adding as assembled unit is easiest.

As for Welch plug, that’s the low side circuit of the carb. The one with the jet installed may have no other route to fill the area. I’m no carb pro though.
Good morning, thanks for the reply. Please excuse my A.D.D. Haha.The saw has the plastic brake flag. I am aware of the what the welch plug is, the carb on my 162se has 2 of them, this one has a jet to the right of the area you indicated with the arrow. Was curious as to why.