Bandsaw blade degree of set on tooth

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have an opinion on degree of set on tooth for general use. I cut some soft wood and some hardwood. If I am not mistaken I have 7, 9, and 10 degree blades and notice little difference in any. When I send them out to get them sharpened do they reset the angle? If so did my 7s and 9s possible get set to 10 degree?

cease232

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use Lenox blades, I resharpen them myself and they are 10 degrees. I haven't tried any other angles. I cut soft and hard wood and it does equally well in both. Overall sharpness is probably more important. I now square up the cant and immediately switch to a new or freshly sharpened blade. I've noticed a huge quality difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what you are saying is that you are slabbing with an old blade and milling lumber with a new blade? I could do that but it would be pretty time consuming.

cease232

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Basically I saw the bark off and then switch to a different blade once I hit clean wood. It's more time consuming for me to pressure wash the log than change blades. I can change the blade on my mill in just a couple minutes.
Tension, Adjustments and feed rates only do so much for cut quality. A sharp blade makes all those things seem less relevant.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see what you are doing. Do you drag your logs through a lot of grit that wedges in the bark? I do drag mine some but it usually isn't to bad. I have no opinion on a tooth degree that last any longer with the same material than a different tooth degree. Im only running an 15hp Kohler mill. Woodmizer LT15.
What mill do you have? I see Woodmizer has a tool that runs through the bark before the blade gets to it. Always thought that would be a nice feature. Not sure it would work with my mill.

cease232

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't do a lot of dragging but they just get dirty from storing and moving them around. Plus if there's metal in the sapwood I'll have only sacrificed my lesser quality blade.
I have a Linn Lumber mill. It's all manual operation but keeps me in shape haha.
I buy Lenox blades that come at 10 degrees and I just keep them like that. It's funner to mill that sharpen blades so I haven't really tried experimenting with different angles either.