High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Bad timing of ports and poor castings

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Never had a jug this whacked out, ever. This is not a stab at Meteor because I have used there jugs before with good success but this, this crap.

Three hours cleaning up the poor port shapes and casting flashing. Inside or outside this thing is worse than most cheap china casting I have seen and used to test them.
The Meteor 44mm here is what I have to work with and it ain't good. It is going to have be dropped but, I'm not set up for the lathe now, making a mandrel piston cutter and sanding block I guess. OR just skip it because the thing is so far gone it won't matter. The numbers will still be ugly at 0.040 drop. The intake is already to low and the exhaust is way to high IMO. Blow down is at 24-5*
0.100 left on the exhaust skirt some good news.
Squish 0.016 w/0.008 gasket

Exhaust is at 96* 168 duration
intake 79* 158 duration :vomiton22je:
transfers 121 123 respectively they can be fixed to a point...
This jug is just *s-word. I fixed most of the poor casting issues and poor port shapes.
If I drop it the intake goes way to far. Never had a jug this far out of whack in Meteor.
The transfers outlets and intake time will be huge. Not good.
The only good news is 40* of case compression for now :sun_smiley:

Exhaust floor is higher than any I ever seen with an uncut base. 0.040 sticking up past the piston after a light port touch up @ bdc with the 0.008 gasket in place. The second ring is half exposed in the intake port at bdc.
All factory port bevels are yet untouched on the top and bottom of intake, exhaust and upper transfers to cylinder ports. I like to make that point. These aren't my numbers.

I triple checked my numbers and tdc with the old trusty 7" Crane wheel and Jacobs chuck.

----Would you chuck the jug or just go for the best I can get?
----Maybe fill the intake floor?

----Do you get Meteor 026 jugs that come in like this?

The general casting is poor inside and out but the plating is good except for the 0.230 black ring of death at the top. My bad it is 0.160 down the jug 4mm. Upper jug plating taper starts @ about 0.040 above the current upper ring top position.:teeth:
The second and third top center fins are plugged with casting flash above the exhaust port. The guys saw wouldn't have made it a week in the woodpile with the cooling issue. This thing looks worse than most cheap china castings. I even had to fix the combustion chamber overhang, pitiful. The pocket looks like they used pebbles for the chamber sand cast.
60 degrees of crankshaft rotation the intake skirt is hidden above the intake port roof wth... I did not move anything yet or cut the base.

If I put this thing on a dyno the numbers would cross at like 6k. If it was 120+ cc these intake and exhaust port times would be great not on 50 cc though lol.

It's just one bad casting setup with the ports time. All kinds of wrong.:shakehead:

Here is the icing on the cake. Saw is all OE but this crappy top.
The jug is not returnable at this point. It was bought and test run years ago. I might ask for a replacement from them just because this one is poor at best but, usable.

If my calculations are off speak up. Should be more than enough info here to draw an ugly picture.
Three question up there. Your feedback is appreciated.

Rant done:confused:

edit: changed plating missing number

Last edited:

ppxstnr

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes. I put a meteor on my 026. I had to install 2 base gaskets to clear, and the squish is .022 still. I woods ported it, but didnt check the timing. Based on what you have listed, I'd bet mine are way off too. Think I'll try a Hyway. I thought mine was a one-off fluke, but it appears Meteor may have an issue with the 026.

However, my casting and ports were well shaped and very clean.

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Needs round filed,

Throw in a round garbage can!!