High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Bad meteor cylinder castings for Stihl 046?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
10:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New member, looking for some insight just bought a new meteor cylinder kit for an 046 Stihl. Casting was less than perfect but I figured I'd start to clean up marks and uneven spots. After starting to do this I looked inside and noticed the bad casting went all the way through and was plated around. Intake port is overly wide with a sharp corner where port is supposed to be rounded.
Looks like ring ends won't protrude into bad spot but I'm worried it might still hook. Since i started to polish ports sending it back isn't happening. Do I try it or eat the cylinder cost and try another one or different brand since maybe meteor has bad mold for particular saw. Will send pictures when I get out to shop
Out

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New member, looking for some insight just bought a new meteor cylinder kit for an 046 Stihl. Casting was less than perfect but I figured I'd start to clean up marks and uneven spots. After starting to do this I looked inside and noticed the bad casting went all the way through and was plated around. Intake port is overly wide with a sharp corner where port is supposed to be rounded.
Looks like ring ends won't protrude into bad spot but I'm worried it might still hook. Since i started to polish ports sending it back isn't happening. Do I try it or eat the cylinder cost and try another one or different brand since maybe meteor has bad mold for particular saw. Will send pictures when I get out to shop
Out
Welcome to the site I've heard of meteor cylinder issue's but i haven't had any myself.
Where did you buy it.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ebay came in yesterday. Bought it and oem gasket set from same place. Looking at it he looks like a site sponsor. Chainsaw conservation components, still trying to load pics. Don't know how yet from my iPhone. Not real computer savvy. Plating looks good minus darker ring around top which i think would only matter if doing a pop up piston. I should have looked better at it before polishing so it's my fault just don't want saw to fail right away. From what I've seen looks like the pictures of 046 meteor cylinder castings they might be all same way. I've noticed on close inspection of photos all exhaust ports looked same as mine.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't blame anyone but myself for not looking at it. Things slip through the cracks at times

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't blame anyone but myself for not looking at it. Things slip through the cracks at times
I've bought a couple bad ones missing plating decomp not drilled etc. The companies replaced them.
Out of a couple dozen that's not terrible.
I've made good saw's out of the rest of them.
Hope you get it worked out.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure will be fine in the end. Just looks bad enough that I'm leery about putting it together.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've bought a couple bad ones missing plating decomp not drilled etc. The companies replaced them.
Out of a couple dozen that's not terrible.
I've made good saw's out of the rest of them.
Hope you get it worked out.
Just now seen Dalls post. Lol
Just now seen Dalls post. Lol
New to all forums pretty much, can I post pictures from my iPhone easily? Don't mean to be all over the place with added posts instead of replies.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
click upload a file then select from photo gallery or take new picture and click the picture you want to share

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks wonky as hell.
Sens me an ebay message and i will get you a replacement and a label to return that one.
Dave
Ok thank you very much. I'll have my wife do that she handles eBay stuff because she has the account and does all that. Sorry I started polishing ports before looking it over closer.