Bad Habits

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to not wear eye protection, but now I feel lost without it. The face screen has been great, and I don’t want to cut without some sort of eye protection.
And we use 2-way radios.

Have you guys tried the hats with the built in radios?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have you guys tried the hats with the built in radios?

Not yet. We use the hard hats with screens and earmuffs. I’ve been trying to find what the Canadian cutters are using. They use the same hard hats except they have the radio plumbed in. It must be something they are doing afterwards. Sometimes it’s hard to hear the radio, especially with the dual ports and so on. It would be nice if it was built into the muffs to hear it better.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can’t stand the screens or bug eyes it’s safety glasses or nothing it’s always fun trying to get a vet to wear safety glasses to cut, but some of the ground you wear them or you don’t work.

So you are just using clear safety glasses? What are your tricks for fogging up?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you are just using clear safety glasses? What are your tricks for fogging up?

I wear a set of tinted one that look like a set of Oakleys that so far don’t fog up and they work great for grinding it helps my eyes find the corner of the tooth.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not yet. We use the hard hats with screens and earmuffs. I’ve been trying to find what the Canadian cutters are using. They use the same hard hats except they have the radio plumbed in. It must be something they are doing afterwards. Sometimes it’s hard to hear the radio, especially with the dual ports and so on. It would be nice if it was built into the muffs to hear it better.

Motorola makes some ear muffs that go into the factory clips, one of the meeting I was in a couple years ago they had some of the reps of one of the companies guess I should of listened better that day.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Motorola makes some ear muffs that go into the factory clips, one of the meeting I was in a couple years ago they had some of the reps of one of the companies guess I should of listened better that day.

We got into using radios about the last three years I was cutting - I wore a Camelback most of the time so I'd clip a small Motorola two-way to the chest strap - that worked pretty good.

It was one of those style that "beeped" twice when someone was calling and you could hear the beeps pretty good through ear plugs. We had to wear high-viz the last year I was contracting,
and now it's standard on fires.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
11:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bad habit for me? Rushing under pressure.... not good to do at all lol. Been getting better at it. Productive and fast while being safe is something that comes with time/experience it seems.

Last edited:

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chaps or in pant chaps or the euro style saw pants?

Normally a set of chaps use to wear the in pants style once in a blue if I wasn’t running equipment at all.

I've never worn anything but jeans or work pants logging. Not against the saftey stuff just never had it besides a hard hat etc...

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t stand the screens or bug eyes it’s safety glasses or nothing it’s always fun trying to get a vet to wear safety glasses to cut, but some of the ground you wear them or you don’t work.

Glasses with the farme all the way around the lenses is a big no no. Look up and you get an eye full of saw dust.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glasses with the farme all the way around the lenses is a big no no. Look up and you get an eye full of saw dust.

94e6d3d2516b66389f5753cae4039f8f.jpg

These are what I’ve been wearing cutting and grinding.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you guys looked into the Protos helmets? They have all kinds of accesories a guy can buy for them including radios.
https://www.protos.at/en/

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have. I just haven’t pulled the plug on one yet. A little pricey, but probably well worth it for a professional.

That’s the ones the guys from NZ had from that meeting/class I was at, it was a lot lighter then I thought it would be the only thing I didn’t like is it’s plastic.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you guys looked into the Protos helmets? They have all kinds of accesories a guy can buy for them including radios.
https://www.protos.at/en/

I had 1 but it’s a bit too chic for me.

I went back to the Petzls with SENAs from TreeStuff.com.

I installed the SENAs to ours but they will do it for you if you’d rather have them.

The stuff I don’t care for with the Protos is everything is proprietary, & the muffs weren’t as noise canceling as high as regular helmet mounted muffs to me.

Bare Protos is ~$299.

Petzl vent is ~$110.
SENA is $199.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had 1 but it’s a bit too chic for me.

I went back to the Petzls with SENAs from TreeStuff.com.

I installed the SENAs to ours but they will do it for you if you’d rather have them.

The stuff I don’t care for with the Protos is everything is proprietary, & the muffs weren’t as noise canceling as high as regular helmet mounted muffs to me.

Bare Protos is ~$299.

Petzl vent is ~$110.
SENA is $199.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Heath how well do those helmets take a hit? I know a tin hat or a skull bucket can the last hit I took knocked my out and a couple of fillings out of my teeth.