Best Buy Co, Inc. Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store HLSupply Daily Deals

Asian 660 Controls

Discussion in 'Chainsaws' started by MustangMike, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Wood Doctor

Wood Doctor Edwin

RedGas said, "They still start just fine hot or cold (after choking) at a normal idle speed, knock wood."
    ------------------
    I wish that were the case with the 066, 650, and 660. When cold, they have to have the fast idle or a throttle WOT pull somehow after several pulls on choke. Not easy, because I am right handed.

Sorry to hear that the 361 gives you trouble. Mine will always engage the fast idle. I have never had trouble with it in this regard. Occasionally I must admit that I have flooded my 361, but that's few and far between.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    MG porting and MustangMike like this.
  2. RedGas

RedGas Well-Known OPE Member

My 361 fast idle works fine. I just don't use it – in part because I don't like to have a fast-running saw held in my left hand, and in part because I don't need it. The only thing on the 361 that gives me trouble is the decomp. It's not guaranteed to not start if you use it, but it's almost as effective as removing the spark plug lead.

One time when I used the 361 decomp, I spent two consecutive days trying to start it. I probably pulled that starter rope 500 times. It wouldn't even pop, yet it wasn't flooded that I could detect. Checked the spark plug, changed the spark plug, changed the fuel filter, tried different fuel, tried choking it, tried fast idle, tried regular idle, tried it with the decomp on and the decomp off, tried everything I could think of. Took it into the shop and the mechanic said, "It starts fine!" The only thing I can think of was that it was flooded, but I neither smelled gas nor saw any gas on the spark plug. I haven't touched the decomp since, and haven't had any trouble since. If I ever have to rip into the saw, I'll replace the decomp with a blockoff plug. YMMV.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  3. Basher

Basher Pinnacle OPE Member

What is the engine compression with the decomp off? Reason I ask is I have seen several saws with low comp that won`t start if the decomp is pressed in, just lowers the comp even more and the saws won`t start, usually just floods them out.

4. MustangMike

MustangMike ONE OF THE GREATEST!

I don't use the decomp on a cold start unless the saw has excessive compression (usually 90+cc saws). I do like having it for effortless warm starts, especially if I'm balancing on top of a wood pile, etc. I very rarely see them fail.

Using a decomp on a cold saw will reduce compression and make it harder to start. Only use it on cold starts if the saw is hard to pull and it pops up when you pull it.

smokey7 and MG porting like this.
  5. MG porting

MG porting Super OPE Member

Yea decomps are more trouble than there worth I've got a dower full of them because every saw I work on that's the first thing that goes away .... :beer-toast1:

smokey7 likes this.
  6. RedGas

RedGas Well-Known OPE Member

Never measured it, but it has plenty of compression and power. It'll pop the starter rope out of your hand occasionally.

7. Wood Doctor

Wood Doctor Edwin

I have an 36 PRO that I rebuilt from a blown-away 034. I added a decomp even though I never thought that it needed it. With the decomp pressed in, the saw will fall straight down from holding the pull cord handle, as if it had no compression at all. With the decomp out, it starts and runs fine.

Conclusion: I should never have rebuilt the engine with the decomp intact. I should have plugged it tight nstead. Am I wrong?

8. Basher

I don`t need or use decomps on saws under 70cc, they fire much better with out them and never have to worry about them causing a run lean condition.

smokey7, RedGas and MG porting like this.
  9. MustangMike

I like decomps. Almost never have problems with them, and you don't have to use them if you don't want to, but I love the "effortless" hot starts they afford.

Often wish my 044 had one, love it on my ported 261, and wish my ported (high compression) 026 had one, hot starting that saw can get your attention.

10. smokey7

smokey7 Pinnacle OPE Member

I have a few saws i wish had decomps. I really so think there is a difference in them from a 90cc saw to a 50cc anytime ive swapped them i get a saw like wood doctor describes. Unless the saw has a small spool advanced timing and high compression i dont need it. Put a couple of those criteria together and boy you wa t one pretty quick. I have a 630 jonny squished ported advanced with a china coil and it lockes up solid of you dont bump it over tdc first. And even just past tdc its a very tough saw to start. Ive had many buddies scoff at it saying no 60 cc saw wpuld ever get them. They end up hamding it back saying can u start it for me.

MG porting, MustangMike and redline4 like this.
  11. Basher

How about a Partner 5000+ running 250 lbs cold comp, no decomp ....

smokey7, MG porting and MustangMike like this.
  12. redline4

redline4 Super OPE Member

I was thinking the same thing. There have been a few times I wished my J-red 630 and Husky 268 had a decomp.
    Ive learned to get them past tdc before really pulling!

13. smokey7

smokey7 Pinnacle OPE Member

If i put a oem coil on them they are much easier to start. But also lose alot of the snap and attitude that i like. So a decomp would allow me to keep the attitude and still start them easy enough.

14. MG porting

They are advanced quite a bit out of the box that's for sure I still don't run the decomp if I need to run a decomp then it will be time to go to a smaller saw. Lol. But that's just me. :pesas:

15. MustangMike

You may re think that over the next 20 years!

MG porting and NCFarmboy like this.
  16. NCFarmboy

NCFarmboy Super OPE Member

TreeMonkey WP 6100 Makita no decomp bullet proof easy start starter for me. I turned 70 this year.
    Shep

17. MG porting

Lol. I'll be pushing 70 by that length of time.

MustangMike likes this.
  18. MustangMike

You won't even be my age.

MG porting likes this.
  19. MG porting

Lol. Nope in twenty years your going to be well in your 80s and I'll be pushing your age that you are now. Man I'll be old. :SimpHomer:. But I'll still be listening to my music loud just because I won't be able to hear the it very well!! :drums:.

MustangMike likes this.