Are they really necessary?

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got all the Motoseal 1 nicely spread on the surfaces and clamped up the clamshell on the Stihl 039 engine I was rebuilding and then a realization struck me... I should probably have put circlips for the piston pin in there. Rats!
"We know it's right, we did it twice"

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did that last winter with a 357,. got the cyl. bolted down then noticed the circlip in the parts pan.
Took it back off, put the clip in, then I thought I'm gonna put this back together without any more permatex since it hasn't dried yet and see if that works.
Well, it didn't make it thru a whole tank of fuel when it would not idle down, I knew what that meant. So off she comes for a new smear of permatex #1, been good ever since.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That one will never get old. It's too classy.

That got old with me a long long time ago. I have always been told, even by family, that same lamb ass line. Next comes, "it don't need to be perfect, just use it like everyone else." You know what, I'm done with that BS! If I want it perfect it will be. If you don't like it or don't want to pay for it, move on. That did not work on them so I moved on now.

I remember quite well once in my twenties being told to buy the best you will always be happy with it. Never forgot that. Buying the best and making it perfect will be the standard at my bench from now on. Just flat out done with, "can you just make it run?" "No. Please take your engine to someone else. Thank You. Have a nice day and goodbye."

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That got old with me a long long time ago. I have always been told, even by family, that same lamb ass line. Next comes, "it don't need to be perfect, just use it like everyone else." You know what, I'm done with that BS! If I want it perfect it will be. If you don't like it or don't want to pay for it, move on. That did not work on them so I moved on now.

I remember quite well once in my twenties being told to buy the best you will always be happy with it. Never forgot that. Buying the best and making it perfect will be the standard at my bench from now on. Just flat out done with, "can you just make it run?" "No. Please take your engine to someone else. Thank You. Have a nice day and goodbye."

Wasn't trying to get you stirred up. The quote in bold was uttered in reference to the saw in my avatar, before it was made right by you awesome dudes. So, I was the butt of the joke...

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used to take small block Fords,221,260-289 and bush the rods and use Jahns domed pistons in sprint cars that used clips .,floating pin .On a short track those little high revers would out run Dodge Hemi's .
It was some time in the late 90's some if not all auto manufactures went back to bushed rods from the standard heat shrink captive pins .

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put together a four-stroke bike engine. I just finished buttoning it up, walked back to the bench and noticed the PUSH RODS laying there so obvious I wondered how I could have missed them. - I was talking to a mate while I put the engine together, I never did that again.