Archer chain

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. I got hammered up here. 14" and now temp is dropping to single digits for the weekend. COLD!
It's all good in da hood. Lol

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so a lot of you blokes got some chain but haven't said how it has gone .

its been 8 months so how did it go is it worth it or not ......

The 011 quit running on me and while I did find a used coil to put in it, I haven't taken the time to do it. I did put an Archer bar and chain combo on a Husqvarna 55 for a fellas backup firewood saw, he seemed pretty happy with it.
I've been spun out on square chain lately trying to keep up with the Joneses. Been using Stihl and Oregon, of the two the Stihl brand holds up quite well in dirty wood for me, so been happy with it.

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 011 quit running on me and while I did find a used coil to put in it, I haven't taken the time to do it. I did put an Archer bar and chain combo on a Husqvarna 55 for a fellas backup firewood saw, he seemed pretty happy with it.
I've been spun out on square chain lately trying to keep up with the Joneses. Been using Stihl and Oregon, of the two the Stihl brand holds up quite well in dirty wood for me, so been happy with it.
Nuttn holds an edge like rs or rm.
Been running rm on 2ft tsumura bars buckn big dirty oak,ash& locust logs.
I noodle with skip on my tree90, jgx.
Just ordered sum archer skip to try it out.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are the bars any good? I can't find much on the bars. I've always shied away thinking they could be like any other chinese bar, really soft and only good for about 5-20 tanks of gas. Maybe they are similar to Oregon or even better? Anybody know?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are the bars any good? I can't find much on the bars. I've always shied away thinking they could be like any other chinese bar, really soft and only good for about 5-20 tanks of gas. Maybe they are similar to Oregon or even better? Anybody know?
Bars are good so far. Half way through the 2nd chain is all though

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any current gauge measurements? I check mine every once in a while with calipers. I've found Echo to wear a bit fast getting a good bit wore out after 1 chain, Cross Performance to be a standard fast wearing chinese junk bar, and I hold Oregon as a middle ground bar lasting at least 2-3 chains. I recently put a .050 chain on a .043 bar when it was ready.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any current gauge measurements? I check mine every once in a while with calipers. I've found Echo to wear a bit fast getting a good bit wore out after 1 chain, Cross Performance to be a standard fast wearing chinese junk bar, and I hold Oregon as a middle ground bar lasting at least 2-3 chains. I recently put a .050 chain on a .043 bar when it was ready.
I just checked. It's a 050 ga bar, measures 058 all the way down. Groove isn't v shaped. May have been a mislabeled 058 bar. Or there's .004 clearance on each side. Don't have an 058 chain handy to try

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've found .050 bars tend to quickly wear to .058. They might start out at .050-.053, then loose paint in the groove, then add some wear and you get .058.

Sounds a little too early to know for sure, but it sounds like it's not a junk bar.

Keep us posted.

I wonder if a 36" could tolerate replacing a thrown chain via the bar bending method? I know Stihl and Total and the like can.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've found .050 bars tend to quickly wear to .058. They might start out at .050-.053, then loose paint in the groove, then add some wear and you get .058.

Sounds a little too early to know for sure, but it sounds like it's not a junk bar.

Keep us posted.

I wonder if a 36" could tolerate replacing a thrown chain via the bar bending method? I know Stihl and Total and the like can.
Not sure. It's still got about 95% of the paint left on it, which is kinda cool after using GB bars for awhile. Their paint won't last 1 chain without flaking or wearing off.

Never heard about bending the bar far enough to get a chain back on. Seems like it would work ok

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hadn't either till I watched Mr. Beranek's working climber dvd series. It's not my go to move since I'd prefer to grind damaged drive links first, but I did it once on the jobsite with a 36" stihl bar as a quick fix.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So would you boys buy a 32” specifically used to fall trees or just pay a few bucks more for Oregon ? I can’t find what I want in Carlton. 3/8 .058 skip. 105 drivers

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So would you boys buy a 32” specifically used to fall trees or just pay a few bucks more for Oregon ? I can’t find what I want in Carlton. 3/8 .058 skip. 105 drivers
I bought a 32" bar and archer chain from @Redbull661. Seems to work fine.
This is the archer chain

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 32" bar and archer chain from @Redbull661. Seems to work fine.
This is the archer chain

I’m on the fence about it. On shorter bars I could care less. But the one I use specifically for cutting *s-word down. It’s only ten dollars different. Ish. What would you do?

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m on the fence about it. On shorter bars I could care less. But the one I use specifically for cutting *s-word down. It’s only ten dollars different. Ish. What would you do?
Can't hurt to try it. My first impression is that it was slightly less aggressive out of the box than Stihl chain. But a file can cure that