Anyone proud of their Anvel?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you'll love this ------In a recent letter to the museum a Pakistani told of a sword held in his family for many generations, quenched by its Afghan makers in donkey urine. Some medieval smiths recommended the urine of redheaded boys or that from a ''three-year-old goat fed only ferns for three days.'' :jump:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They claim salt water works better than fresh water or oil on some steels .I only use oil because I have an idea of what carbon the tool steel has before hand .One time ,just to prove a point I cut a lathe tool from a piece of mild steel,heated it up to cherry and tossed it a tin can full of sugar .After the sugar stopped burning I water quenched from about 1400 degrees .Sharpened it and cut another piece of mild steel with it .
It's not a trick but goes back in time .not used these days .Sugar is c6 H12 o6 .The hot steel sucks the carbon out of the sugar and the oxygen and hydrogen are burned off .Rather crude though and not too scientific or precise .

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They claim salt water works better than fresh water or oil on some steels .I only use oil because I have an idea of what carbon the tool steel has before hand .One time ,just to prove a point I cut a lathe tool from a piece of mild steel,heated it up to cherry and tossed it a tin can full of sugar .After the sugar stopped burning I water quenched from about 1400 degrees .Sharpened it and cut another piece of mild steel with it .
It's not a trick but goes back in time .not used these days .Sugar is c6 H12 o6 .The hot steel sucks the carbon out of the sugar and the oxygen and hydrogen are burned off .Rather crude though and not too scientific or precise .

Almost sounds to me like some sort of case hardening. Very interesting never hear of that one before

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Believe it or not I found the sugar deal on Popular Mechanics when I was a teenager which was over 50 years ago .The subject matter was making an emergency chase nut die to touch up the threads of a wheel stud .The old timey blacksmiths case hardened steel with charcoal,powdered bone etc in a makeshift oven .To get it hard it has to have some carbon in it .I know some of the old tricks but I certainly don't know all of them .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Story time .There was an artisan blacksmith about 2 miles from me who moved to Phoenix for his wifes' health .In his conglomeration of stuff at the auction were a couple of nice anvils which or course brought top dollar .However one was listed as a 500 pounder but it was a 300--with the horn broke off .How in the world could you break a horn off an anvil ? The only way I could think was a giant with a 20 pound hammer when it was 20 below which it hasn't been in decades .

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Story time .There was an artisan blacksmith about 2 miles from me who moved to Phoenix for his wifes' health .In his conglomeration of stuff at the auction were a couple of nice anvils which or course brought top dollar .However one was listed as a 500 pounder but it was a 300--with the horn broke off .How in the world could you break a horn off an anvil ? The only way I could think was a giant with a 20 pound hammer when it was 20 below which it hasn't been in decades .
I could see a 20 pound hammer breaking a 75 pound anvil but 300. Somebody had a swing.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Another story. I heard that during the civil war that when the north was going through the south they would break the horn and the tail section of every anvil that they came across. Which would render it useless for making certain things to help the war effort. It would basically turn it into a sawyer's anvil.

J. Dirt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friend of mine on the firewood hoarders club site J. Dirt which I believed he is now on the OPE as well just made a brake drum forge. It turned out really well. You could try to send him a PM and get in touch with him if you're interested! I believe he posted his progress on the "Backyard Blacksmithing" thread on the firewood hoarders club if you want to take a look.
You rang?! Here’s my baby anvil! 7C23833B-97E6-4A9B-832F-58DE65ADFB0B.jpegThat’s maybe a 10” piece of locust it’s on. It was my great grampa’s and I pretty sure he used it for riveting mower sections. It’s torch cut from one slab of steel. As for the drum forge... not sure if this is legal on here, but check out this thread from FHC https://firewoodhoardersclub.com/fo...-iron-on-the-forge-this-evening.21901/page-14

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of mower sections .My dad had a section of rail about 8" long we used for that plus the grinder with an angled wheel to sharped them .My dad could pull that old pull type old Mc Cormick-Deering with the old B model Allis and never plug it up,I always had a problem myself .He was raised around horses I wasn't .

J. Dirt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’ve got an old McCormick big 6 horse drawn mower that I pull with the same great gramps (as mentioned above) tractor I inherited. Usually put down an acre of oats every year just for fun. I drive and my brother rides and works the levers. Wish I knew anything about horses. It’d be awesome to have a team of Percherons

Junior Samples

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
you'll love this ------In a recent letter to the museum a Pakistani told of a sword held in his family for many generations, quenched by its Afghan makers in donkey urine. Some medieval smiths recommended the urine of redheaded boys or that from a ''three-year-old goat fed only ferns for three days.'' :jump:
Yea. I heard three year old goat fed ferns for four days. That would be alot easier getting urine from. One man job. lol

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
F565B68A-AE92-4CBD-931B-F93E6C8E2777.jpeg The hay budden is mounted up. I wanted a 225-300 but one in this condition is way out of my price range these days. The post oak stump weighs more than the anvil so I don’t think it going any where.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 136050 The hay budden is mounted up. I wanted a 225-300 but one in this condition is way out of my price range these days. The post oak stump weighs more than the anvil so I don’t think it going any where.

Nice looking anvil, and I like your setup with places to put your hammers.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag