High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Anyone know where I can get a good ms261 crank...

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
9:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a good clean ms261 with a toasted crank, the usual sprocket bearing wear on the shaft.

They are like gold dust to find in a good used (and affordable condition)

I am at a loss for the usual ebay and parts people I know of.

:(:(:(

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
4:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Drum wore thru it didnt it.have better luck goin to chainsaw adds and posting add in parts section. Wanted @Jon1212

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me know how it gos glad to help

Do you have a decent one without wear to the end? I am trying to gauge whether it is cost effective to fit a crank or whether to break it for parts. How much would you post a decent one to the uk? Pm me? Thanks!

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Its not mine i just looked on ebay for you is all.i see it now that you pointed it out.

retro

Void where inhibited
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Though it probably wouldn't help you right away... we shouldn't be turning a blind eye to this long standing problem. We can all help solve it by complaining and raising a fuss. It won't get fixed until Stihl's reputation and sales are damaged. Unless you are happy paying almost $600 USD for a time bomb...? Well, lets get to work then.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW..........a brand new OEM crank can be had for about $120

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last I checked, greasing the sprocket bearing was part of regular maintenance. How can you blame a manufacturer for lack thereof?

I bought this as a parts saw and these apparently have heat treatment issues. Don’t you think it is strange that only ms261s have this plagued problem??

Iceboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi there. I have a complete crankcase with the crank. Bought it used, some years ago, for a project but never got the time.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a good clean ms261 with a toasted crank, the usual sprocket bearing wear on the shaft.

They are like gold dust to find in a good used (and affordable condition)

I am at a loss for the usual ebay and parts people I know of.

:(:(:(

The *f-wording moon!!

Last I checked, greasing the sprocket bearing was part of regular maintenance. How can you blame a manufacturer for lack thereof?

A little odd that no other models have this problem, exclusively a near universal problem on 261's. that and the fact that Stihl have admitted a fault the first Time that the bearings hadn't been greased from factory, then said actually it was a problem with the rim sprocket and could be fixed by swapping for a spur at your own cost, when in actual fact it's caused by the heat treating issue, wherein the steel for the roller bearings Is say, 69HRC for example (arbitrary figures) yet the crank is only hardened to say, 67HRC. Give that a few hundred million rotations or so, there's only going to be one winner!

I did hear that certain dealers have now been admitting this fault, although I'm not sure how widespread that is yet.

retro

Void where inhibited
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I knew about the crankshaft problem when I bought my 261 new. So before it was ever fired that bone-dry bearing got replaced with a KOYO and it got o-rings & grease. But most 50cc pro saw buyers are not informed (and would be shocked to learn they were about to buy junk) and probably wouldn't buy a 261 if they knew about this beforehand. Its been 7 years now... clearly there is only one way to prompt Stihl to solve their problem.

If you're happy with it, fine.

Most new victims are not happy though.

Getting back to a solution for a worn crank stub... I see two possible choices to keep the stock 10mm diameter and stock clutch drum; either hard-weld & remachine the crank stub, or machine & sleeve it with a hardened sleeve.
Another repair option (would require a clutch drum with larger ID) might be a pressed on needle bearing assembly having both inner and outer races. Got any other ideas?

EDIT: It would be a big help if Stihl would provide a way to lubricate that bearing without taking it all apart. Husky provides a hollow crank stub on some of their models for injecting a bit of grease... why didn't Stihl?

Personally, I would not be comfortable running the stock 261 all day long without stopping at least twice for maintenance on that shaft & bearing. And its not something you can do in the field... you need tools and a clean place to work. Try it in the woods and you'll lose the clip right away and probably get dirt in it.

Last edited:

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They did have problems with the drums.you know a 026 260 adjustable oiler drum fits on with no problem.i have 2 261s. I recently aquired and both drums are worn.why did 260 261 drums not have this same problem,im juat asking.

retro

Void where inhibited
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So swapping the stock 261 drum out for an 026/260 drum might (help to) solve the 261 crank wear problem...? Interesting!

I'm gonna buy one and use it if its better quality.

Thanks!

EDIT: You don't happen to have the part number handy for that 026/260 drum do ya?

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So swapping the stock 261 drum out for an 026/260 drum might (help to) solve the 261 crank wear problem...? Interesting!

I'm gonna buy one and use it if its better quality.

Thanks!
Same drum size and everything diff. Part numbers same oiler go figure.just bought two used ones from a member.