High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Anyone here used the Ebay chainsaw sharpener, buy one or not?

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
1:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Philbert , I , like you , find my CBN to be....eh. Ok for when I get really rocked out chains but when I just wanna touch a few up I reach for the HOS with the Stihl wheel. Just seems sharper...and it was like $10 too so I try to maintain profiles but after a few chain il just get another wheel.
For disclosure the CNB is on a 511a and the Stihl wheel on an HOS. I'm a file hoe too so I've got lots of sharpening options to choose from. If I was gonna spend only $20 on a sharpening system it would be the husky roller type. $40 gets the 3&1 system Wayne is talking about. $100 gets a timberline and $200 or so gets a used HOS or a new 511a

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
12:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious. I've seen it filling round. Just figured the chrome was applied more generously that day.
Did not happen that much with the AO ('pink') wheels I use (Molemab, Oregon, Total).

Need an abrasives expert. When I worked at 3M I had guys try to explain to me that 'not all aluminum oxide' is the same. Assuming that 'not all CBN' is equal. Would like to understand it better. Different grades, grit sizes, density, bonding, etc., etc, etc.

Philbert
(not all 'philberts' are the same either . . . common with nuts . . . )

Last edited:

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did not happen that much with the AO ('pink') wheels I use (Molemab, Oregon, Total).

Need an abrasives expert. When I worked at 3M I had guys try to explain to me that 'not all aluminum oxide' is the same. Assuming that 'not all CBN' is equal. Would like to understand it better. Different grades, grit sizes, density, bonding, etc., etc, etc.

Philbert
(not all 'philberts' are the same either . . . common with nuts . . . )

Is it effecting chain performance or just doesn't look good?

Wonder if the heat generated by the other wheels help remove the chrome.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it effecting chain performance or just doesn't look good?
Wonder if the heat generated by the other wheels help remove the chrome.
The primary function of the chrome is just to reduce abrasion of the top and side plates when rubbing against the wood. That, and to look pretty!

I have had some lift up on the top plate with the CBN wheels - only happens with the AO wheels when the tooth gets too hot. This time, I was cleaning out gullets and ended with lots of chrome hanging off the lower side of the outbound cutter, so probably more aesthetic than functional. But I would like to have pretty looking cutters after investing $100 into each wheel! And, again, these were STIHL chains.

I am thinking / hoping, that some of this will stop once the wheels wear in a bit. I know that others have reported good performance with them, and that some of the chain manufacturers are now using CBN wheels in the factories. Will post if anything changes.

Philbert

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is a good feature of CBN wheels used in a factory environment would be consistency of cutter profile. Providing the wheel profile is right and the grinding mechanism is set up right you would be able too grind all the cutters exactly the same. The wheels that wear like pink wheels are constantly changing and need re-profiling as their shape/size changes. We all know how different 'off the roll' chain can be with different production runs. Interesting Philbert worked at 3M, what a great products they make. I was given new earmuffs 4 Xmas that are 3M, they also have Peltor written on them. I love the surface prep products 3M make like roloc discs etc, pricey in the quantities I buy, but top quality and worth the premium.

Last edited:

J & L Creations

Machine Design
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What is a good feature of CBN wheels used in a factory environment would be consistency of cutter profile. Providing the wheel profile is right and the grinding mechanism is set up right you would be able too grind all the cutters exactly the same. The wheels that wear like pink wheels are constantly changing and need re-profiling as their shape/size changes. We all know how different 'off the roll' chain can be with different production runs. Interesting Philbert worked at 3M, what a great products they make. I was given new earmuffs 4 Xmas that are 3M, they also have Peltor written on them. I love the surface prep products 3M make like roloc discs etc, pricey in the quantities I buy, but top quality and worth the premium.

Yes 3m is top notch on their products, as you say pricy but worth it. We used the cot off and sanding disk all the time, well I say we, I retired, so the company I worked for.