beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
4:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I worked part time/evenings at the local Honda shop for a while. The pay was shít, less than half what I made at my normal job at the time.

The experience helped me get the job I have today which pays way more than any other mechanic job in the area. So you kinda have to look at it from all angles I guess.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
3:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t the car dealership give you the tools. You just bring yourself?

If they do, they difinately have it better than here. Dealer only supplies certain vehicle specific tools/fixtures etc.
I figure I worked my first 5-6 years in the industry for free as it all went back into my toolbox to do my job.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^^^^^^^ Best Answer!

Local stihl shop tried to make me a offer four years ago. I was all ears but had to politely decline and then laughed my azz off when I got to the car. ($13.50hr 35hr a week no thank you)

Now if they do other equipment too? Well now then it would probably be a different story.

Steven

I make $13.50/HR plus 20% of every hour billed (we charge $80/HR). I have to look up and pull my own parts and handle all of the warranty claims. By the time I do all of that i am lucky to bill six hours out of 10. Plus I buy my own tools, including all of the factory specialty stuff. The kicker is the Human Resources guy thinks I am overpaid.

thesawincanada

For the love of saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It’s the same here I don’t remember how many years I’ve worked payed it into tools. I’ve worked in small shops, large shops, car dealer ships, the transit authority. I’m still buying chainsaw specialty tools. I heard that if you work for a car dealer in Europe they supply you a toolbox with all the tools needed to do your work.

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
9:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
In germany you get usually all the tools needed.
Most of the jobs you get all clothes and equipment.
Most car dealerships pay for the time your work not the billed time.
But bet you will get roasted if 80% or less of your time gets billed.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I make $13.50/HR plus 20% of every hour billed (we charge $80/HR). I have to look up and pull my own parts and handle all of the warranty claims. By the time I do all of that i am lucky to bill six hours out of 10. Plus I buy my own tools, including all of the factory specialty stuff. The kicker is the Human Resources guy thinks I am overpaid.

I'd go kick that HR dude in the sack.

Fun how HR is out to get ya vs out to help ya.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I won't even mention what I made before I retired .After saying that I won't pay over 100 per hour at a car dealers rates nor 65 an hour for a Stihl dealer .

No matter what the subject,any subject you all have computers and can obviously read .Google and You Tube will walk you through just about any thing .Just saying

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's a tech?

I just stick my spinny thing in the jug and make voom voom sounds. It pays well enough to allow me to eat. Barely......
I might have a can of beans left over this month if you it ....

Sawhawgz, ruining the internet since 2012...

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Come on up joe. We'll pay you more hourly, you might still have to look up and pull parts but I write all the warranties...do you have to make out your own work orders and call customers too?

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Come on up joe. We'll pay you more hourly, you might still have to look up and pull parts but I write all the warranties...do you have to make out your own work orders and call customers too?

Absolutely, and cover the parts counter when the parts guy is at lunch. And answer any technical questions a customer may have, especially about a chainsaw. And work the sales floor on big sale days, and fix all of the flat tires on company vehicles, and clean all repaired equipment, and service our rental fleet every spring (non billable in house work) and uncrate new mowers, and do all PDIs on new equipment (more non billable) and install any accessories that a customer wants on a new unit purchase (you guessed it, non billable) and do pickups and deliveries (in my own vehicle) and...

I would also like to add that with just myself and the one parts/sales guy we averaged $100,000+ every month this year. With upper level management fighting us every step of the way, not wanting to bring in any new product that we asked for. I missed no fewer than eight sales for a 395 XP this year because they would not stock one. Said it was too expensive, needed to be a special order only item. I finally convinced them to get one by saying if it didnt sell in six months that I would buy it myself for full retail. I sold it in 28 days and now they are refusing to order another one. Imagine what we could do with some support from the powers that be. :BangHead:

Last edited:

jk14

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Absolutely, and cover the parts counter when the parts guy is at lunch. And answer any technical questions a customer may have, especially about a chainsaw. And work the sales floor on big sale days, and fix all of the flat tires on company vehicles, and clean all repaired equipment, and service our rental fleet every spring (non billable in house work) and uncrate new mowers, and do all PDIs on new equipment (more non billable) and install any accessories that a customer wants on a new unit purchase (you guessed it, non billable) and do pickups and deliveries (in my own vehicle) and...

I would also like to add that with just myself and the one parts/sales guy we averaged $100,000+ every month this year. With upper level management fighting us every step of the way, not wanting to bring in any new product that we asked for. I missed no fewer than eight sales for a 395 XP this year because they would not stock one. Said it was too expensive, needed to be a special order only item. I finally convinced them to get one by saying if it didnt sell in six months that I would buy it myself for full retail. I sold it in 28 days and now they are refusing to order another one. Imagine what we could do with some support from the powers that be. :BangHead:
That be some bull *s-worde right there!! Fuggin pencil pushers step over a dollar looking for a dime.

JasonRKBA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad was a heavy equipment mechanic. A lot of the pictures we had of him when he was younger showed him working on car's and what not. Dad hated working on cars. When I asked him about it he said once you make it a job it is no longer fun. I work in manufacturing and make good money doing it but I always loved working on stuff thanks to his sound advice.

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Absolutely, and cover the parts counter when the parts guy is at lunch.
-I don't take lunch, just leave a little early one day a week
And answer any technical questions a customer may have, especially about a chainsaw.
-I very rarely want a tech out talking to a customer...no money in that
And work the sales floor on big sale days,
-nope
and fix all of the flat tires on company vehicles,
-ok...maybe once in a while
and clean all repaired equipment,
-nope
and service our rental fleet every spring (non billable in house work)
-that might happen occasionally.
and uncrate new mowers, and do all PDIs on new equipment (more non billable)
-yea maybe
and install any accessories that a customer wants on a new unit purchase (you guessed it, non billable)
-might have to install that *s-word, but I charge for it
and do pickups and deliveries (in my own vehicle) and...
-nope, we have a dedicated truck driver

Come on up joe, we just had a guy put in his two weeks. :D

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I would not work for $13.50 an hour. At any job.

I bet an 'immigrant' would do... ;) (Says an immigrant in Ireland...)

ETA - I worked 6 months in England with an outfit that did everything from arborist to logging to estate maintenance. I had to have a few chainsaw certs and a work site safepass(https://www.cscs.uk.com/applying-for-cards/) to even be considered for the position. They both ended up costing me about $900 all in all, and a week and a half of my time.
I earned £250/week - my rent was £400/mo. We were often on site and had our lunch and dinners paid. If it weren't for that, I would have made closer to £3/hr over all. Many of the days being 13 hour work days(though you do get 2 breaks during the day in England, tea and lunch). Very hard work at times that required I take handfulls of pain killers, but I loved every minute of it aside from running a tracked chipper which wrecked my head and kept trying to kill me, and met a lot of friends that I still have.

Last edited: