High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Anybody run a 462 head to head with a 7910?

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was on my cellphone and couldn't write it like i wanted.Anyway what i wanted to say is that it is difficult to build small 2 stroke direct injection.What Bombardier did with their outboard engines is way complex,heavy,expensive and unreliable to put in a dirt bike,lubrication is the biggest problem of all.Yamaha did something similar and their engine was unreliable.What Stihl did is as far as things will go for 2 stroke ope.KTM uses something similar,the TPI system (Tranfer Port Injection).KTM is the first manufacturer who built 2 stroke fuel injected bikes and the bikes with this system have a ton of problems.Now watch this videos and tell me how could this be possible to be adapted to a small ope engine:

Also can you show me where Evinrude built a 2 stroke direct injection engine 15+ years ago?No ideas,actual product on mass production.
Have to ask, are you just playing the devils advocate:risas3:.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
3:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Evinrude introduced the direct injection e-tec outboards in February of 2003 as 2004 models.

Brochure: https://issuu.com/liquidnirvana/docs/2004---evinrude-e-tec---di-outboards--x---wm-

OMC (the company that made Evinrude prior to BRP) had a DI system they introduced in 1996 & 1997 limited numbers. Full production in 1998. The ficht system got a bad rap because well......... It was new technology and old school service techs didn't understand the tech and new required procedures.

We still have a ol 96 ficht running around on my uncle's bass boat. And I have a 02 optimax on one of my boats. DI has been around for a while in my world. Big issue is shrinking the injectors and the high pressure fuel recirculation requirements. DI doesn't like extremely high rpm's or being run on it's side or upside down.

Steven

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was on my cellphone and couldn't write it like i wanted.Anyway what i wanted to say is that it is difficult to build small 2 stroke direct injection.What Bombardier did with their outboard engines is way complex,heavy,expensive and unreliable to put in a dirt bike,lubrication is the biggest problem of all.Yamaha did something similar and their engine was unreliable.What Stihl did is as far as things will go for 2 stroke ope.KTM uses something similar,the TPI system (Tranfer Port Injection).KTM is the first manufacturer who built 2 stroke fuel injected bikes and the bikes with this system have a ton of problems.Now watch this videos and tell me how could this be possible to be adapted to a small ope engine:

Also can you show me where Evinrude built a 2 stroke direct injection engine 15+ years ago?No ideas,actual product on mass production.
Complex? Heavy?? Unreliable?? Surely you jest....You would need a generator not unlike those found on saws with heated grips, some sort of ECM, a single DI injector, a fuel pump and an oil injection system. People add as much weight or more adding longer bars and wrap handles.

As far as reliability, Ski-Doo ETEC powered sleds and Evinrude ETEC outboards have a pretty solid track record from what I can see. Still in production and selling well after all this time...

As to your question of how it could ever be made small enough for implementation on hand held power equipment... Have you been asleep for the last 80 years of industrial and technological advancement??

I'm not trying to be a dick, but naysaying isn't a valid argument when there are very successful systems in the market that have held up, granted in larger scale.

It's only a matter of time man, you will see it..unless of course battery power ends up taking over completely, which is a very real possibility. We should probably start figuring out how to port battery powered saws now and get ahead of the competition ;) :D

Last edited:

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Complex? Heavy?? Unreliable?? Surely you jest....You would need a generator not unlike those found on saws with heated grips, some sort of ECM, a single DI injector, a fuel pump and an oil injection system. People add as much weight or more adding longer bars and wrap handles.

As far as reliability, Ski-Doo ETEC powered sleds and Evinrude ETEC outboards have a pretty solid track record from what I can see. Still in production and selling well after all this time...

As to your question of how it could ever be made small enough for implementation on hand held power equipment... Have you been asleep for the last 80 years of industrial and technological advancement??

I'm not trying to be a dick, but naysaying isn't a valid argument when there are very successful systems in the market that have held up, granted in larger scale.

It's only a matter of time man, you will see it..unless of course battery power ends up taking over completely, which is a very real possibility. We should probably start figuring out how to port battery powered saws now and get ahead of the competition ;) :D
lol ive met you and you didnt seem like a dick i just cant remember your name

LouCi4er

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score

No problem man,you don't sound like a dick at all.You are right i just didn't do my research before i post.I know where technology goes,i just don't believe this system will be in chainsaws soon.Anyway all these are opinions and nothing else,until we see it we can only talk.As far as where i was the last 80 years,can't answer to that,i am only 30 years old.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No problem man,you don't sound like a dick at all.You are right i just didn't do my research before i post.I know where technology goes,i just don't believe this system will be in chainsaws soon.Anyway all these are opinions and nothing else,until we see it we can only talk.As far as where i was the last 80 years,can't answer to that,i am only 30 years old.
All good neighbor. :Saeufer:

In all seriousness though, I think it's very possible that battery power will end up taking over before DI technology advances enough to make it successful on a saw. Electric grows by leaps and bounds, exponentially. If you familiar with RC, electric motors (brushless) and LIPO batteries have surpassed nitro power by miles at this point and the gap is ever widening. It's crazy what these modern electric rigs are capable of as much as I hate to admit it.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the goin rate for a 462 now? I hear of guys payin less, just curious. Seems the 572, 7900, & 462 are pretty close anymore

I got a 462 carb version for sale in Ads section for $950 shipped. I pay about 80-85 for shipping so the saw is sub-$900 PHO.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the goin rate for a 462 now? I hear of guys payin less, just curious. Seems the 572, 7900, & 462 are pretty close anymore
Idk but I got the 572 for 800 clams when it came out, a 7900 can be had for less if you are tight with the dealer, and round these parts they dont give any deals on stihls.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 462 is 1.5 lbs lighter than the other two. If you are going to use it to fell, buck and limb yard trees, it is worth every penny. I'm very familiar with the difference, it is like comparing it to a MS460. Good saws, but not so friendly for doing lots of limbing. And, the older you get, the truer that becomes.

Very happy with my 462, was using it yesterday, dropped 2 Red Maple and an Ash. I climbed up on top of brush piles to buck them (purposely dropped them on top of them), so I appreciated the light weight. I especially appreciated it in yesterdays heat … I was sweating badly enough with the 462!

I plan to use this saw for many years, so the additional cost is small. IMO, it is the perfect saw for a 20" light bar. Light, smooth, good torque range … a real nice overall saw.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 462 is 1.5 lbs lighter than the other two. If you are going to use it to fell, buck and limb yard trees, it is worth every penny. I'm very familiar with the difference, it is like comparing it to a MS460. Good saws, but not so friendly for doing lots of limbing. And, the older you get, the truer that becomes.

Very happy with my 462, was using it yesterday, dropped 2 Red Maple and an Ash. I climbed up on top of brush piles to buck them (purposely dropped them on top of them), so I appreciated the light weight. I especially appreciated it in yesterdays heat … I was sweating badly enough with the 462!

I plan to use this saw for many years, so the additional cost is small. IMO, it is the perfect saw for a 20" light bar. Light, smooth, good torque range … a real nice overall saw.

13 lbs is impressive for a 70cc+ saw.
As I get older I'm noticing extra weight more as well. Last winter I was dragging the 6401 around through the snow cutting mostly 16" and less dead stuff. Doing the same work with a 50 cc echo is much less taxing. I get more done and am definitely less worn by days end.

Last edited: