High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Any miracle way of sorting stripped screw threads in casing...

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotcha :)

Trying these inserts and giving it a go seems the logical choice. It seems you guys are having luck using inserts or helicoils. I can't see why there would be any issue considering the threads will only be taking a plastic trim being held down.
:borra2:
Exactly it's only holding a top cover! Just needs to hold tight enough to seal the airbox!

Chainganger

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 262 with top cover threads all messed up. My best guess is that this is common with this saw not because of a ham fisted operator tightening the screws too much but because vibration tears the threads apart once installed.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
4:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When they get a little loose the vibration of the steel fastener wears the magnesium away fast.
Never really understood how people don't keep onto of loose screws, bolts etc.. It seems like basic fundamentals to me...

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never really understood how people don't keep onto of loose screws, bolts etc.. It seems like basic fundamentals to me...
See: mufflers of the 028 variety.

Nice pointers in this thread. I'll add that an m5 timsert can deal with a larger hole as long as there's enough meat at the end. It's recessed so that aids in the bond (surface area for loctite).
JBweld is great for building up material. I like the helicoil or sert being added rather than tapping the epoxy itself.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
4:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
See: mufflers of the 028 variety.

Nice pointers in this thread. I'll add that an m5 timsert can deal with a larger hole as long as there's enough meat at the end. It's recessed so that aids in the bond (surface area for loctite).
JBweld is great for building up material. I like the helicoil or sert being added rather than tapping the epoxy itself.

Yep I get mufflers etc coming loose I bought a 2150 that had burn damage to the muffler. Decent thread lock/loctite solves this. But on plastic parts you can pretty much tell when they're torqued down enough. But to allow the threads to strip from vibration or over tightening is just a sin for any competent machinery user IMO..

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Time serts are probably the best but they are costly if you have to buy them .The inserts have a counter sunk flange and you expend the base using a forming tap .They won't work loose .
If anybody cares to you can Google time serts to watch a vid on how they work and how to install them .We use them at work .

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I understand it Roush racing time serts every aluminum block engine they rework into a race engine .They build pretty good engines so there must be something to it .
Yep. I wonder--- has anyone tried to back one out? Once it has set up, of course...?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A stripped out M5 by .8 is almost the same tap hole as an M6 by 1 . A good two fluke spiral point tap will take it right out to M6 if you wanted to go that route instead of using an insert .If nothing else run an M5 drill bit first if you don't trust the spiral point .
Rule of thumb for those who don't know .SAE threads are given in threads per inch,metric is by thread spacing .For the drill size you drop one thread spacing .M6 1 would therefore be M5 3/8" 16 would be 5/16" etc .

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe you could hillbilly it and epoxy some studs in the holes and use nuts to tighten the cover down?

Old Harleys had areal problem of exhaust pipe bolts stripping out, and they now have studs with nuts. I know that sounds rather masculine..., but that's what it is. I read a recommendation to do that with old knucklehead and panhead exhaust mounts.