any gm technicians on here?

woodtool89

Randalls favorite member
Local time
9:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We just raise the bed on the left side at home, drop the tank at work, lot easier with a lift and trans jack.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk
bed bolts and tank straps dont like coming off up here after a few winters...on mine, i cut the hole because the pump died and i didnt want to screw around trying to unbolt the bed or drop the tank, in the snow.
the replacment pump i put in it didnt last long and that was the one that was starving the engine of fuel....so that replacement was fast, just 4 screws and had full access to the pump

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dad thinks he saving money by buying aftermarket, could have bought a GM pump after get two aftermarket modules. On his fourth one now and fifth one is in the back seat.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The way dad looks at it, he's 81, he's got too much money tied up in this old truck, 98, to buy a newer truck. The money tied up is parts.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Them gm pumps fail when ran low on fuel over and over again the pick location kinda sux. Pump has a hard time picking up fuel whwn tank gets low then pump gets hot i worked for a company who had a fleet and pumps were allways a problem
.when we started not letting them get below 1/4 of a tank we had less problems

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Why do you think I am not seeing the fuel pressure move when i hit the throttle? And I will be putting in a regulator in a day or two.
Worn pump
Them gm pumps fail when ran low on fuel over and over again the pick location kinda sux. Pump has a hard time picking up fuel whwn tank gets low then pump gets hot i worked for a company who had a fleet and pumps were allways a problem
.when we started not letting them get below 1/4 of a tank we had less problems
Smart. They run much cooler.

Did mine in the driveway. Unhooked the tank neck, started popping out the lines down the frame clips and unbolted the brackets at the frame. Dropped the lines down all the way up and just set the tank down. Never unhooked the fuel lines. Changed the pump and back it went.
It quit on my way home so it got done in my parking spot. Drove it home on a prime and a two gallon fuel can under the hood with the wiper washer line stuffed in the intake tube crank case breather hole and the can. It ran a little fat.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It seems I will be putting a regulator in first since I already ordered one, and if that ain't the problem the pump will be next.
Cool beans id say pump brother i also one time had one that was hard starting from time to time seemed to be worse when after a rain or it sat a day or so youd sit there and grind on the starter it would spit and cough id give it gas.i knew tou sdidnt have to pump gas on an efi vehicle.it .drove me nuts.could here fuel pump and all.it turne out to be cap and rotor button were worn real bad.id check it too.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool beans id say pump brother i also one time had one that was hard starting from time to time seemed to be worse when after a rain or it sat a day or so youd sit there and grind on the starter it would spit and cough id give it gas.i knew tou sdidnt have to pump gas on an efi vehicle.it .drove me nuts.could here fuel pump and all.it turne out to be cap and rotor button were worn real bad.id check it too.
Cap and rotor just replaced.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had that rain no run *s-word to. We swapped the distibutor. It would show signs of moisture down it the trigger. We think it has a clogged vent hole in it. I've seen that crap before drive you crazy cap rotor...no start. Next day runs good.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had that rain no run *s-word to. We swapped the distibutor. It would show signs of moisture down it the trigger. We think it has a clogged vent hole in it. I've seen that crap before drive you crazy cap rotor...no start. Next day runs good.
Yep then run good a week then go out no start.then next day fine again

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember us changing a lot of those distributors because of corrosion inside of them causing no spark. GM also has a recall on thoses, had to inspect distributor and install a foam sleeve on the a/c line cause it would drip water onto the distributor.

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Replaced the disty on my 97 because the drive gear was knife edged and would skip. Sputtered like a fuel problem until it threw a cam retard angle code.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I remember us changing a lot of those distributors because of corrosion inside of them causing no spark. GM also has a recall on thoses, had to inspect distributor and install a foam sleeve on the a/c line cause it would drip water onto the distributor.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk[ who was the Super Genius that routed that line

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wished I knew, was a pain when doing an intake job, when replacing a cap and rotor and replacing the distributor. Was even worst on the 4.3 with spider injection.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you find a cap screw laying on the transmission, I might of dropped it. [emoji38]

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I cant get the gauge to read at all and the gauge is fine i tested it on other truck. I tried a new valve core and the gauge still wont work ?What is this?