any gm technicians on here?

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am having trouble with 2 Chevy trucks 1997 and 1998 I believe it is fuel related and need assistance troubleshooting a bad fuel regulator from a bad fuel pump.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are the symptoms of the truck? Check engine light on?

RE 98 truck
sometimes it wont fire right away on first try but always starts, check engine light and a code for co sensors. Fuel pressure dont come up fast at all but goes to 50 and it holds when off. this is one truck we will stick with this a while first.Also when I rev it the vac has no effect on the fuel pressure gauge it stays steady and on all my other trucks it will jump. Also I cleaned MAF sensor and replace crank sensor and temp sensor and air and fuel filters. I have a fuel pressure regulator coming in the mail from Rock Auto tomorrow.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is the code IMG_2248.JPG

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yours sounds like my dad's 98 GMC, on second key cycle it will start, has a new fuel pump sitting in back seat, I haven't had time to replace it.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When you first key up, the fuel pump comes on and runs for a few seconds, then does not run until the cranking engine builds enough oil pressure to close the oil pressure switch.

I would install the pressure gauge, monitor fuel pressure not running, key on only, when cranking and while running. The spec is 60 to 65 psi but I've know several start/run with lower pressure. Make sure you are getting the prime stage(you should hear the pump run). Qualify the relay. You can swap it with another in fuse box. The thing about them spider pipes are the initial fuel pressure to start, once running it is not quite important. You can disconnect the vacuum line to the regulator while running and should see a increase in fuel pressure. If you snap the throttle the fuel pressure should increase then settle back.

As stated earlier, double cycling the key aids in the initial fuel pressure, the fuel pressure gauge should show if that is working.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you first key up, the fuel pump comes on and runs for a few seconds, then does not run until the cranking engine builds enough oil pressure to close the oil pressure switch.

I would install the pressure gauge, monitor fuel pressure not running, key on only, when cranking and while running. The spec is 60 to 65 psi but I've know several start/run with lower pressure. Make sure you are getting the prime stage(you should hear the pump run). Qualify the relay. You can swap it with another in fuse box. The thing about them spider pipes are the initial fuel pressure to start, once running it is not quite important. You can disconnect the vacuum line to the regulator while running and should see a increase in fuel pressure. If you snap the throttle the fuel pressure should increase then settle back.

As stated earlier, double cycling the key aids in the initial fuel pressure, the fuel pressure gauge should show if that is working.
Why do you think I am not seeing the fuel pressure move when i hit the throttle? And I will be putting in a regulator in a day or two.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you don't achieve 60 to 65 psi on a double key cycle, block return line and see if you achieve 65 or better. If on second test you get over 65 on hold for two minutes without pressure loss, I'd say regulator. If it doesn't get up to 60 blocked, pump. If blocked and looses pressure, pump.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of us do this for a living, I work as a tech for a GM dealer, this is the type of tests you have to run to determine what's failing on the older systems, the newer systems, lost more test and headaces.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok guys thanks I will report back tomorrow with more.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of us do this for a living, I work as a tech for a GM dealer, this is the type of tests you have to run to determine what's failing on the older systems, the newer systems, lost more test and headaces.

Will blocking the return line damage a fuel regulator? I am wondering ? I read it in the book if it goes too high.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are just temporary blocking return line, not long term, you'll be ok.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We just raise the bed on the left side at home, drop the tank at work, lot easier with a lift and trans jack.