Any Experience With Mulching Head?

RonL

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was looking at the open front brush hog type mowers for my high output skid steer. However, I think that the rotary mulching head with the carbide teeth would better suit my purposes. Does anyone here have experience with these? I have an area to clear that was logged over several years ago. It is getting grown over now and needs to be opened up. The poplars have popped back up like weeds. There are also the old stumps mixed in. They are probably starting to rot away. I'm wondering how the mulching head would work on this.

RonL

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two different machines for totally different things. Mulching head will work on logs and such, but will have a tendency to wrap and load with grasses and vines.

Can you rent a mulching head then use an open front mower for maintaining? I recently rented an open front on a TL8 skid steer...thing was a horse. Anything under 6" was toast.
a6a1a2b40358a9d51d68ebe156c3b3e3.jpg

RonL

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A number of years back I was using my Gravely with the 30" front deck to maintain the open areas. I was using a weed-wacker and a brush cutter to maintain the bankings and other difficult areas. It was very time consuming. I brought the Gravely back to the city property. I've been having someone brush hog the open areas the past several years. The brush hog is mounted on the back of a tractor. They drive around the open areas. The periphery, bankings, and other difficult areas are becoming over-run with brush and bramble. The hillside needs to be taken back from the brush and poplar saplings. I also need to open up a trail to the far corner of the property. I originally thought that the open front deck, as in your picture, would be my best option. Now I'm thinking that the mulching head would be more suitable. I have to give this serious thought.
What I liked about the Gravely was that it was easy to run it into the tree line on the periphery. The people doing the brush hogging don't back into the tree line. As a result the tree line is being taken over with brush and brambles.

Once I smooth everything out and get good grass going, I think I'll just have the wife mow it with a riding mower.

Thanks for relaying your experience

RonL

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think you'd be unhappy with an open front mower. Again...try renting one for a day...see how it goes. I think that mower was only $125/day to rent. I decided to use their machine too as both of ours have rubber tires. Tracks and that mower are dangerous!

Very poor video I did while running it...you can get the idea how 2-3" stuff didn't phase it.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How big is the property? The size will make a big difference as to what equipment you'll need to get it squared away.

Another question, why does anything at all need to be done with the land? Cosmetics? Can't use it for your desired purposes?