High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Any downside to using a chain with three missing teeth?

OK to run a chain with missing teeth? Edit

• Are you kidding? You'll cause global warming!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
11:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry friend, you lost me. Three missing in a row might be a different situation than three in random locations. I included that bit of info in case it was important.

At least it won't be an issue for this chain. But the service to my neighbor is ongoing and I expect more damaged or broken teeth.
Ok...They are equal in the sense they are not there. How well you maintain the bar, rakers and remaining teeth are all that matters at this point. You are far from perfectly clean cutting conditions so you may find it is next to impossible to keep a chain from surging or from running true for very long anyway. If you find yourself SHARPENING frequently and quickly to meet the minimum objective, that being just to target the cutters then there is something lost in quality. That is just the nature of the beast here or we would be FILING half the day otherwise in these poor cutting conditions.
Just an example: Some guys say file back the tooth to the hard plating if it is chipped off way way back? If you are SHARING frequently anyway then what is the point? If I am Falling in clean wood then I wouldn't either. I could file it more frequent to keep the edge when I do a random sharpen as in when a chain throw accrues. It is all different. Somewhere in the middle of each activity or 12,000 miles away then maybe a different approach is needed? If anyone has one belief then they are ignorant. They get stuck in their own sandbox. Professional or not, some may know their sand box well... But they are still ignorant hacks. Let there be no mistake. Lol. J/K. (Sort off) Being on saw sites should open everyone's mind about the differences in reality as to what we have or haven't done and just as importantly, where we haven't cut. It is easy to put one's foot in one's mouth. Most everyone has been guilty of that but some can't buy a clue.

I answered your question the best I could based on some things I know about YOUR situation. You said it seems to be cutting OK and you are at the end of your chain.
It could be doing much worse like you would need to manipulate the bar side to side to get it to grab again. Does it have duel dogs on the saw?
If it works with the dogs without binding then that's a good indication things are good as far as cutting 'true' or especially as the log size increases. What wasn't a problem at 10' dia may start to be a problem a 16"+.

I ran bars with tight bar rails and way before the cut would noticeably run slightly off with a sharp chain on say a 3 ft + buck then I would often be causing wear on one side of the chain, the other side of the drivers and pressuring one side of the top bar grove. Maybe I neglected to FILE evenly by focusing on just sharpening only.. due to heavy rain for a few days perhaps? Now the rakers are going out and the hook is changing slightly and I haven't flipped my bar in a week. It works until it doesn't.
So just because it cuts perfectly for me for a few days doesn't mean I am not creating unnecessary damage that in most cases could have been avoided through better planning or greater ambition.

Try to flip your bars after/ equal to a days use for best results. Use a bar rail puller and keep the rails in tolerance.
Dress the bar surface 90° from the sides if needed.

Lastly ....if you made it this far then
Welcome to the site.

Last edited:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know why but I am rarely ever able to get the Hutzl website to work on my laptop

I tried turning my VPN off and 3 different browsers for the link above and just keep getting a "servers IP address cannot be found" error

Maybe karma is telling me something

:nono:

Oh well...