High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Any downside to using a chain with three missing teeth?

OK to run a chain with missing teeth? Edit

• Are you kidding? You'll cause global warming!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3 teeth missing on a chain that's on its last sharpening. Major problem here folks, firstly I'd start a thread to get multiple opinions so we can all comfort you in the is time of need....yes add a voting poll to collect data too. This thread describes perfectly why men are no longer made like they once were. In the time it took to post up this thread you could have found a stick, sharpened its end with your pocket knife & poked it straight into your eye.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
8:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
3 teeth missing on a chain that's on its last sharpening. Major problem here folks, firstly I'd start a thread to get multiple opinions so we can all comfort you in the is time of need....yes add a voting poll to collect data too. This thread describes perfectly why men are no longer made like they once were. In the time it took to post up this thread you could have found a stick, sharpened its end with your pocket knife & poked it straight into your eye.
Do you usually sharpen the big or little end?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you usually sharpen the big or little end?
I was lying in bed thinking about this exact question when I thought perhaps my feet were hanging out the end of my bed, so out i got too take a look. :cbiggrin:
BTW: this exact thread was started on AS too just in case we were unable to provide an adequate answer.:camper:

JL4C

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I feel that the "all the cutters have to be the same length" notion is foolish and I know there are others that will agree

I agree. When I was a child, my father used to carefully measure each tooth length with a 6" adjustable wrench and dutifully grind away. I remember him telling me if he didn't do that, the saw would cut to one side. I asked couldn't he just file the next cutter to the same length and accomplish the same thing? He thought about it a while and said 'probably' and I never saw him file all teeth again. As for myself, I never worry about it. In fact, for my 66 link chains, there is always an extra LH cutter anyway. Never seems to be an issue.

It is not for the three missing teeth lost in any random order that would cause one to raise an eye ; as for they are of equal. It is in fact, the ones in remain that raise the question.

Sorry friend, you lost me. Three missing in a row might be a different situation than three in random locations. I included that bit of info in case it was important.

Expert just said^^
" it won't be an issue much longer EITHER WAY". How do we follow that?

At least it won't be an issue for this chain. But the service to my neighbor is ongoing and I expect more damaged or broken teeth.

I like to just trim up the top plate or grind off the top and just leave the side when I hammer away at a cutter. Seems to let it ride over the wood with no ill effect.

Hadn't thought of this. I probably cut off more than I needed. Your idea should help with vibration.

JL4C

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was lying in bed thinking about this exact question when I thought perhaps my feet were hanging out the end of my bed, so out i got too take a look. :cbiggrin:
BTW: this exact thread was started on AS too just in case we were unable to provide an adequate answer.:camper:

So? Are the two sites mutually exclusive? Generally I find a different level of experience on each site.

JL4C

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This thread describes perfectly why men are no longer made like they once were. In the time it took to post up this thread you could have found a stick, sharpened its end with your pocket knife & poked it straight into your eye.

Not sure why the acerbic wit my friend. You got nothing better to do on a Friday morning? As most discerned from the allowable responses to my poll, I didn't think it was an issue. I'm actually a mechanical engineer by training but my expertise lies in centrifugal pumps. I'm also humble enough to acknowledge that I don't begin know everything about anything. But I have a beloved Husky 346XP that I don't care to ruin over a $15 chain. So, I thought the poll was a lighthearted way to inquire of the group (on both sites). Having been on the internet since the early 1990's, I also knew I would get a variety of responses, some worthless, but some might have something I hadn't thought of before. You also have the option to not read the post or not respond. Why so sour? Did you take this as a personal offense?

Last edited:

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Been cutting some logs/stumps into smaller pieces for burning in a neighbor's wood stove. The logs contain assorted nails, staples and other metallic tramp material and my chains seems to find them all. [I'm running 20LPX chain on the Husky 346XP.] On one chain I've had three teeth so damaged that I just ground them off. The missing teeth are in random locations on the chain, not sequential. Saw seems to cut fine anyway. Any downsides to this I should be aware of? This chain probably only has one more sharpening left in it anyway, so it won't be an issue much longer either way. What do the experts say?
As long as there in random location should be ok but I would just keep it as a spare and get a different chain but that's just me.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
1:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can. Say that I got a new chain (from China, and cheap and soft)...
On this chains first big day out. I cut a piece of wood. It was cutting nice then I thought...wtf this chain is jumping and vibing and almost kicked... now again I thought wtf and carried on.
Once I looked a the wood I found a nail... and it was the chains 1st outing...

I looked at the chain and it had at least 3 cutters missing. Iirc. All in a row.. and also many other damaged teef.... I thought the same. Do I chuck it or use it. Well I’m a tight fisted guy and thought fookit it was cutting after it went past the nail so after I give the rest a tickle it will be fine, as long as the chain is running a bit fast when it hits the wood..
anyhow. It only for my pleasure and I’m happy to use it.
I,m not sure I would let anyone else use it without saying about the toofs missing.

I will get a pic when I find the chain.
Btw.. yes as other say it vibes more and even more at slower chain speeds, to the extent it grabs and bogs if to slow..

One last thing, my opinion may not be the same as another guy who I show the saw chain and may not want to use it after I show/tell him...

Edit, I just looked and the missing teef are not in a row

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just reread the first opening thread post...so times (edit sometimes) I glance and answer... not really a good way but a quick answer is something and better than none.
but when I reread after afew post I read it differently, because the op has jumped up and sharply writen reply’s.

I’ve seen this before...it’s not the best way to behave in a newly joined forum, because maybe you don’t know anyone, and other forum members and there own ways of replying.
We all have traits, and that’s good and bad.

We are a good bunch of guys and a few other genders here. Compared to some other places that other peeps frequent...:rolleyes::):)
Cheers

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to just trim up the top plate or grind off the top and just leave the side when I hammer away at a cutter. Seems to let it ride over the wood with no ill effect.

This would certainly be the best route as far as keeping the chain balanced and minimizing vibration

:headbang:

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just reread the first opening thread post...so times (edit sometimes) I glance and answer... not really a good way but a quick answer is something and better than none.
but when I reread after afew post I read it differently, because the op has jumped up and sharply writen reply’s.

I’ve seen this before...it’s not the best way to behave in a newly joined forum, because maybe you don’t know anyone, and other forum members and there own ways of replying.
We all have traits, and that’s good and bad.

We are a good bunch of guys and a few other genders here. Compared to some other places that other peeps frequent...:rolleyes::):)
Cheers
I don't have a clue of that you are writing about here. Was something deleted that was significant besides a basic edit that you speak of? I don't get the connection. He is addressing one if not both posts from one guy only and he is the azz? I was just going to welcome him to the site and give him a little more serious response. It was a fun OP, perhaps I didn't get a serious side to it until his reply back to me. Where is he being a prick. I read it on two sites and I don't see it?

Sure took the mood out of it.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are also people that would use their breaker/ spinner and presets to replace with almost worn out teeth from a donor chain. They say they cut faster. If you have the time and patience.

I just run them. From this site. Not mine.
View attachment 182974

I have been trying for years to justify the cost of a decent breaker/spinner set but to me at least it’s only worthwhile going to that length if the chain is almost new and you are cutting for a living

If you buy the breaker/spinner then your kind of “well I need a roll of chain and a few bags of parts”...

I won’t go through enough chain in my life to justify that

Sadly...

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
8:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or I justify it by the newer Chinese ones are fairly inexpensive and I can convert odd lengths that I find cheap into ones I can use by adding or subtract links. It's just another tool to do stuff. You can get away with a grinder and ball pien hammer if you're determined.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or I justify it by the newer Chinese ones are fairly inexpensive and I can convert odd lengths that I find cheap into ones I can use by adding or subtract links. It's just another tool to do stuff. You can get away with a grinder and ball pien hammer if you're determined.

I have a couple of loops of Archer I intend to try once my new saw gets here; hopefully soon

I could maybe justify the Archer tools and a roll of their chain if it turns out I like it

If I do I think BEFORE I invested in a roll I would probably get a couple more Archer chains for my big saw and see how consistent the two sets of chains were

There has been some talk about their chains being hit or miss

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure why the acerbic wit my friend. You got nothing better to do on a Friday morning? As most discerned from the allowable responses to my poll, I didn't think it was an issue. I'm actually a mechanical engineer by training but my expertise lies in centrifugal pumps. I'm also humble enough to acknowledge that I don't begin know everything about anything. But I have a beloved Husky 346XP that I don't care to ruin over a $15 chain. So, I thought the poll was a lighthearted way to inquire of the group (on both sites). Having been on the internet since the early 1990's, I also knew I would get a variety of responses, some worthless, but some might have something I hadn't thought of before. You also have the option to not read the post or not respond. Why so sour? Did you take this as a personal offense?
Firstly, welcome to the forum, not much offends me, sorry if I upset you. Well, you have a 346 so your either lucky of have good taste. My only advice is if you 'know' metal objects will be in the wood your cutting, change your style a little & be a bit light handed pushing the chain through the wood. Metal on metal has a unique 'feel' that resonates through the saw which you can feel if your paying attention. You can minimise damage by stopping when that unique vibration is sensed. But, pending on how much of this metal infested wood you need to cut, the chain I'd grab for the job would be the one missing teeth & near its end. Semi chisel will keep you in the game if you only lightly encounter metal & respond accordingly.