Any cons to having a saw ported?

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bought a 066 already ported from the beautiful Cumberland plateau of Tennessee.... Wiped the smiles off many loggers faces when they thought their saws were fast..... No cons here.

They went and got their logging saws ported by the monkey... 660 and 661.... No cons here.

Now we are cutting agaisnt each other for top spot... No cons here.

If you want it ported, go for it.

Just be patient on waiting for the saw to return after being massaged.... I think that's the only con I can think of....

B

Backyard Lumberjack

I agree with most comments above. After running a properly ported saw, most stock saws will feel under powered. Sharp chain very important. The Pro's of a ported saw, out weigh the cons in my opinion.

>The Pro's of a ported saw, out weigh the cons in my opinion

The Pro's: somewhere, I think... it was here on the OPE... somewhere I read or heard... all the pro's are members here! ;)

The Con's: most of them are in jail! aside from a few here, I did hear or maybe read it here...some of the cons still here! LOL

exhaust: if my 044 talks like it should, I will just tell the neighbors I put in a bigger camshaft! ;) for another noisy neighbor - 'paybacks are h*ll'... as I start my sunday morning 6:45 am saw firewood cutting, on their bedroom side of house. :risas3:

thread: yes, this is a good one!

I am pro-ported saw, at least for one. I can do my own work. here I have taken my 044 exhaust port to a high level of porting excellence, at least imo. cyl, heat sink plate, gasket and muffler all port matched to extend the shape of the port... and dowel pinned to always get the parts back in perfect alignment to the port. this is ruff state of finish. with the pinning of the parts, little to no movement out of alingment, w/o pinning +/- 3/32nds! I plan to take this aluminum polishing work to a near mirror finish... if for no other reason, that I just want to. hope it runs well, and I don't get 'the bug!'... I like modified engines, but really don't want to mod all my saws. got plenty wood to cut n split, instead! lol... dowell pin is a bit dif than my original thots as I was going to use a 1/16th roll pin, but I like the final design better. the dowell pin does not stay in the dowell pin alignment hole. the large T-27 torx head fasteners are temporary... I have turned down the oe pair in both diam and height... oe diam: .335 or so to 235 or so, 040 off the top, then rounded to favor expanding hot gasses's flow patterns... well, I heard every lil bit can help! ;) I have an extensive background in porting, but this is my first chainsaw... not sure if all this will work, or work well... but I got my fingers x'd.... a 2nd exhaust vent is planned on the R side of the muffler, I plan to hand shape it myself... light blacksmith work! and attch it. weld or maybe just small fastners...

matched porting of stihl 044 exhaust port, heat sink plate, gasket and muffler, with dowel pin system.

P2110001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see no cons in having a saw woods ported. You're maximizing efficiency and helping the engine run cooler. Race saws are a totally different ball game where longevity is of no concern to the builder (in most cases). I started modding my saws the simple way with MMs and base gasket deletions and I am very pleased with the results. Woods porting to me is like putting heads, intake and Cam on a small block chevy. It will be reliable, way stronger than stock and the only thing you lose is a few mpg. Race building is comparable to super high compression engines that get rebuilt after every weekend event. This may not be the perfect analogy but it's how my mind differentiates between the two building methodologies. As stated by other members the only cons are the cost, the wait and the subsequent need to get all of your other saws ported:nusee:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Open the muffler on your saw first and see how you feel about it...mtronic saws run VERY good with just a muffler mod.

Then if you still feel the need for speed..well...

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm tired of ported saws but I do like running them,I get tired of fixing the starters and listening to them.
I cut timber with a basically stock 395 just because it's easy to start over and over.

Wow..you must actually have some experience workin with these little beavers..

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have Comp Rel on both my ported 460/046s. I don't use it on a cold start, but like having it after that.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a fad, ..run...run fast!!