High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Any cons to having a saw ported?

DHef

OPE Member
Local time
6:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have an OWB and cut about 15 rank of wood per year. I have a one year old Stihl 362 CM and I'm thinking about have my saw MM'd. Are there any down sides to having this done? Any decrease on longevity, etc?

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
7:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMO there really isn't any down side other then the fact that once you have a ported saw you gonna want more ported saws. Maybe the only down side that comes to mind is that a ported saw is usually louder then stock due to the modified muffler. (Personally I like em loud)

I believe that ported or not any saw in the hands of a competent operator should last a very long time especially if all the saw does is cut fire wood.

A ported saw tuned correctly and being used properly should run cooler then stock, make more power then stock and should make your cutting go faster. Oh and it's more fun;)

Remember to keep it tuned properly and always run a sharp chain and good(fresh)fuel of the proper mix. Dull chains kill saws just like a carb out of adjustment. This applies to stock and ported saws

This is just my $.02. Some may agree, some may not. I'm sure more people will be along shortly to offer more advice.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
7:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My guess is you're already bit, and the good news is you can always find evidence to back up the worthiness of your intentions, lol!

Personally, I have had that same question as yours rolling around in my head. I'm currently at the stage of muffmod only, but I do hear voices....

Good thread!

rburg

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The increased compression can cause more stress on the recoil system. They are louder but you can always use better hearing protectors.

rburg

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The cm models will adjust for the mods.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
5:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Any cons to having a saw ported?

Depends on what your idea of a "con" is........waiting to get your saw back is the only "con" I can think of to having one ported.

Scaring the neighbors, baffling those you may cut wood with, more fun to use, fueling your CAD habit, all seem like "pros" to me.

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
5:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Jon. I would agree that I have many options of builders to choose from. And they all seem like they are awesome at what they do. I definitely will be getting my 2171 worked on as soon as I buy a saw to take its place while my Jonsered is away. Haven't fully decided on what I'm going to buy yet tho. I'm always open to suggestions