Any bee keepers

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife and father in-law have been researching bee keeping for years now. Well this fall at an auction the bought everything a retired bee keeper had.
Just wanted to see in anyone here was into that and if they had any tips/ pointers. It should go great with my homemade maple syrup!

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife and father in-law have been researching bee keeping for years now. Well this fall at an auction the bought everything a retired bee keeper had.
Just wanted to see in anyone here was into that and if they had any tips/ pointers. It should go great with my homemade maple syrup!
I've kept bees for years had all of the different breeds at one time or another if you have any questions just give me a holler

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've kept bees for years had all of the different breeds at one time or another if you have any questions just give me a holler

Oh I'm guessing we have a whole list of questions

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh I'm guessing we have a whole list of questions
My best advice to you is buy bees locally.They are already acclimated to your climate stay away from dark bees they are a little testy.Italians are your best bet.

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree on the local bees.
I do tend to favor the dark bees though, because they seem to have better mite resistance.
Don't focus on making honey for a couple of years, but instead focus on building solid colonies.
Don't be afraid to get in the hives and learn about them. You will never become a better beekeeper if you don't get in the hive and observe them.
Try to keep at least 2 hives so that you have a comparison to help you recognize a weak colony.
Finally, take your losses in the fall, and combine weak hives, culling out poor queens, so that you have strong colonies that you can split in the spring.

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree on the local bees.
I do tend to favor the dark bees though, because they seem to have better mite resistance.
Don't focus on making honey for a couple of years, but instead focus on building solid colonies.
Don't be afraid to get in the hives and learn about them. You will never become a better beekeeper if you don't get in the hive and observe them.
Try to keep at least 2 hives so that you have a comparison to help you recognize a weak colony.
Finally, take your losses in the fall, and combine weak hives, culling out poor queens, so that you have strong colonies that you can split in the spring.
Everything nut said is spot on.Aggrivate them daily if you have the time helps keep the hives from getting glued together.Went and mowed around mine today I believe they have died out.Not much activity and it's 75 here today.Such is life.

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everything nut said is spot on.Aggrivate them daily if you have the time helps keep the hives from getting glued together.Went and mowed around mine today I believe they have died out.Not much activity and it's 75 here today.Such is life.

I lost a few this winter. Last I checked I had 3 alive in my home yard, and 2 in one of my other yards.

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would be interested in a gallon or more... if I can get a sample. I have a recipe that needs it and last year it was hard to come by.
What would it cost me?

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would be interested in a gallon or more... if I can get a sample. I have a recipe that needs it and last year it was hard to come by.
What would it cost me?
I don't have any for sale, but the last time I bought any local honey (about 4 years ago) it was $16 a quart.
With the amount of work it takes, and the cost of equipment, I've decided that is really cheap!