Another wood ID?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 3rd photo showing the grain looks to me like American Elm. I cut one that looks just like it.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2nd and 3rd pic look like the same block. Looks like red maple to me. In the 1st pic, the bark kinda looks like basswood, but the cut end doesn't look fuzzy, it looks like a hardwood

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
10:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think honey locust has a different, tighter bark. And, it's as dense as oak or hickory, especially when green. It's the only wood species that I ever successfully overloaded my '97 Ford Ranger with. Dang near never got home with it. That truck was so mad at me that it almost refused to start the next day. After that, I installed a new set of Monroe shocks.

On the other hand, Wolfie, it just might be honey locust. Hard to say.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I noticed that also. Could be two different trees got cut down and delivered. One thing for sure, when you get stuff like this dropped off for "free", anything could show up and rarely will any two logs be cut the same length, the correct length, and be at a right angle to the grain. It often becomes a splitting nightmare.
Never took notice to that till you mentioned it. Looks like the bottom 2 pictures are honey locust. The other definitely is not basswood. Not enough loose fibers on the cut end.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk