Another HS45 question

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a HS45 Stihl hedge trimmer that runs great most of the time. Now & then it does not want to take gas when you turn it on it's side to vertical cut. It does not do it all of the time. It actually acts as though it has dirt in the carb but then it will clear up & run great. New plug, fuel filter, & air filter. I only use non ethanol gas.
Any ideas?
Thanks

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you use an all position weighted OEM fuel filter? Is the tank shaped in a way that when trimmer is turned on its side the filter gets hung up in an area that prevents it going to the bottom of the tank to draw fuel? Is the filter not getting hung up in the filler neck of tank? Often a screwdriver or something is needed to push the filter down away from the neck of tank. When it happens next I'd turn it off open the fuel tank and look to see where the fuel line and filter are heading.

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. The fuel filter is not one with the weight. However it has done it with a full tank of gas. I used it this morning & it ran fine. It only does it occasionally.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then you may have crankshaft seal(s) problem or something that not tight in the intake system.

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then you may have crankshaft seal(s) problem or something that not tight in the intake system.

Thank you for the reply. I will check the intake & make sure it has not come loose. I'll keep
my fingers crossed & hope it is not the seals.