High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Another grinder question (sorry)

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
looking for a bit of wisdom with this old grinder I just picked up, it's an Efco jolly. Just wondering if the grinding angles would be measured the same as Oregon grinders? As my other grinder is a USG I'm clueless with this one.

It also needs a couple of small parts, what are the chances of getting a new chain backstop catcher thingy?

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0005.JPG

I think someone jerry rigged the second spring up as the hinge spring is a little tired. But hey it seems to work.

I'm thinking of getting a CBN wheel for it and using it exclusively for 3/8 lo pro, should earn the cost of the wheel back pretty quick with the way Some of the local lads treat chains. Plus the grinder only cost me £20 :D

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes.

Very similar to Oregon models. All made by Tecomec (Google their web page). Parts should also match, if you find the right model(s), and if you can remediate any interim 'mods'.

You can also make a replacement chain stop, if you can bend a little sheet metal, or if you can cut up a bit of aluminum 'c' channel, once you see what it should look like.

Funny thing about the screen, is that some people attempt to "de-tune" their spring so that they don't have to be moved so far.

Should be a workable grinder.

Philbert

Edit: Also Google 'Oregon 511A manual' to find a PDF version of the manual for a. Dry similar grinder. Some guys will be jealous that yours is reversible!

Last edited:

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes.

Very similar to Oregon models. All made by Tecomec (Google their web page). Parts should also match, if you find the right model(s), and if you can remediate any interim 'mods'.

You can also make a replacement chain stop, if you can bend a little sheet metal, or if you can cut up a bit of aluminum 'c' channel, once you see what it should look like.

Funny thing about the screen, is that some people attempt to "de-tune" their spring so that they don't have to be moved so far.

Should be a workable grinder.

Philbert

Edit: Also Google 'Oregon 511A manual' to find a PDF version of the manual for a. Dry similar grinder. Some guys will be jealous that yours is reversible!

Thanks Philbert,

Super Helpful as always! Damn I love this forum.

I'll have a look for the chain stop and maybe a few screw handles as the plastic handle wheels on mine are in bad shape. I'm hoping the reversible motor will help keep both sides equal length, but we'll see

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey I don't know about that particular vise, but the only thing I don't like about my Oregon 520 grinder is grinding lo-pro chain...it doesn't want to "slide" threw the vise without some help...it tends to fall down into the far left side of this vise....

I am not trying to deture you from doing it, just saying slide some lo-pro threw the vise before you buy the smaller CBN wheel....I got the 1/8 and 3/16 wheels, and in hindsight I would have been fine to just get the 3/16....

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey I don't know about that particular vise, but the only thing I don't like about my Oregon 520 grinder is grinding lo-pro chain...it doesn't want to "slide" threw the vise without some help...it tends to fall down into the far left side of this vise....

I am not trying to deture you from doing it, just saying slide some lo-pro threw the vise before you buy the smaller CBN wheel....I got the 1/8 and 3/16 wheels, and in hindsight I would have been fine to just get the 3/16....

Okay I'll take a look!! I need to adjust the vise with a few shim washers anyway as the sides are set way too thick at the moment, even .063 wobbles around loosely. But it does look similar to the USG the way you can add or remove washers to get the gauge right

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Update: just set the shims to 60 thou to give me some sliding room and .050 3/8lp slides better than It does in my USG! Now to order some parts and a good wheel! Any recommendations @Khntr85 ? I know you've got a few wheels to advise me from!

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Okay found something weird, the clamp has some sort of cam built into it to allow me to tilt the whole assembly forward or back, but I can't figure out how to tighten it down without it wanting to self centre. I'm guessing this will give me my +/- 10 degrees of tilt?
IMG_0007.JPG
Tilted back

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Download the manual I suggested. It is in there.

There should be a couple of small springs, and small ball bearings, to act as detents, holding the vise at either zero or 10°.

Philbert

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As philbert says that vise does look like it "tilts"...

@jb-chainsaws I am glad you seen what I was talking talking about, just thought I would throw that out there....

Hey on a side note, do you swap out the shim and washers on the usg when you go from.50 gauge to .63....I bought all the extra washers and shim so I have everything on hand....

Oh and as far as the CBN wheels, I only have 2-from diamond wheel inc. and one from standard diamond....I have ran enough chains on the diamond wheel inc CBN wheels to be able to recommend them as they work great...however, I can't say they are the "best" in class because I have not tried other brands...

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Perfect thank you philbert, hopefully I can get hold of the parts as there's currently no ball bearings under there.

As philbert says that vise does look like it "tilts"...

@jb-chainsaws I am glad you seen what I was talking talking about, just thought I would throw that out there....

Hey on a side note, do you swap out the shim and washers on the usg when you go from.50 gauge to .63....I bought all the extra washers and shim so I have everything on hand....

Oh and as far as the CBN wheels, I only have 2-from diamond wheel inc. and one from standard diamond....I have ran enough chains on the diamond wheel inc CBN wheels to be able to recommend them as they work great...however, I can't say they are the "best" in class because I have not tried other brands...

I've gotten a bit lazy recently with the USG and haven't been swapping them out, however you should really to prevent the chain being tilted over to one side when you clamp it down if there is too much play. Can't say I've felt a diffference though on the smaller stuff that the lo pro .050 chain tends to be cutting. Might run into issues if you were using a longer bar with .050 chain though as I'm sure the cutters are a little unequal.

Thanks for the advice on the CBN, I'm currently leaning towards the cyclone just because I've heard nothing but good things about them, and I kinda want to try one!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perfect thank you philbert, hopefully I can get hold of the parts as there's currently no ball bearings under there.

I've gotten a bit lazy recently with the USG and haven't been swapping them out, however you should really to prevent the chain being tilted over to one side when you clamp it down if there is too much play. Can't say I've felt a diffference though on the smaller stuff that the lo pro .050 chain tends to be cutting. Might run into issues if you were using a longer bar with .050 chain though as I'm sure the cutters are a little unequal.

Thanks for the advice on the CBN, I'm currently leaning towards the cyclone just because I've heard nothing but good things about them, and I kinda want to try one!
I have wondered how much if any "better" the cyclone wheel is....I know they are like $250....

I really like the wheels I have from Diamond Wheel Inc....I will probably be getting one for the USG in 3/16 soon....if you do get one I am curious to hear your thoughts....I will say this no matter which CBN wheel you get, you will really like it!!!

Oh and last night I put in the shim and the single 1.6mm washers in the usg vise to see if there was any noticeable difference while doing my 3/8 .50 gauge chain...I do believe that it holds the .50 chain more "securely"....with that said I understand why a lot of shops that grind thousands of chains just leave the grinder one way and dont change it as it's a bit of a pain, especially if a guy was in a hurry!!!

All my 3/8 chain is .50 gauge....around where I live all 3/8 is .50 gauge....I have never really understood why....the .325 chain around here is all .63 gauge.....it doesn't make since to me why they just don't sell all 3/8 in .63 gauge....

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to trying it!

Seems I'm the opposite to you, the only thing in .050 here is lo pro, everything else is .063 so I'm lucky that way!

I don't suppose you know how the tilt vise assembly works on the Oregon/tecomec/jolly grinders? I can't for the life in me figure it out, even with ball bearings in the little detents

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you mean how to take it apart, I have never taken mine apart...

Maybe these pics will help???
IMG_2750.PNG IMG_2751.PNG

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't suppose you know how the tilt vise assembly works on the Oregon/tecomec/jolly grinders? I can't for the life in me figure it out, even with ball bearings in the little detents
As shown in the manual above. You use the same knob that you tighten / loosen to rotate the vise to tilt / lock the vise.

Philbert

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I looked at he manual but can't figure out how it works inside, I think mine is missing some
Parts but I can't figure out what just yet, I'll get there