High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Angle grinder

pa-aaronq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Installing a tub step insert. Homeowners had their bath remodeled a few years ago and kept the old tub. Now they are older and cannot easily step over the tub to enter the shower. They plan on leaving the door part out as they only shower, but it is designed to be able to fill with water and bathe.

View attachment 45071

View attachment 45073
I've never seen a retrofit like that. It's a good idea not to have to tear whole tub out. Good job

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Buying a brand new grinder I would go with a metabo. Quality of other grinders have seemly gone downhill. We have a couple of old paddle 4.5" Milwaukee's at the shop that have taken over 12 years of abuse, I've personally ran them till they were too hot to hold and they keep going. Also an old makita 6" that is used primarily with cutoff wheels, it's had 5 cords worn out on it but never had to put in brushes. They just don't seem to make them like they used too.

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The best wheels I have ever used are Norton fast cut and long life.

Pricey, get them when they are on sale at MSC.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 here for the folks voting Makita. Have had three Makitas for many yrs and none have failed yet. I've got an old, old Rockwell 6" that is a hoss as well. Just too damn big and heavy to wield for any length of time. Metabo makes Cadillac grinders but costly.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive used several, only owned a couple. Ive had my makita 4 1/2" for 10 years or so. Its cut rebar, tile, stone, sheet metal and ground a metric *s-word ton of poor welds and rusty junk.

Woodhore

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Metabo 6" best all in one grinder made. If this would have been my first grinder it would have been my only grinder. Pfred wheels are also a favorite of mine. .040 cutoff wheels are phenomenal. Get the grinder with the slide switch.

jeepsnchainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I second the Metabo as being a great grinder. If it is for you and you only, and you can spend the $$$ on a Metabo, do it. If it is for a shop or others will be using/abusing it, get any of the other brands.
This! Yes, THIS!
Well said!

2manyhounds

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
+1 on metabo ,harbor freight disks do ok,never had much luck with their grinders though

ursinykb24

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well honestly go with something that feels comfortable in your hands honestly I'd recommend a 7 inch rated grinder and use slightly smaller disk size honestly they just have more power. But I do use a smaller size black and Decker grinder that I have been using and abusing for 9 years now just wipe it down and stuff regularly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

woodtool89

Randalls favorite member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well honestly go with something that feels comfortable in your hands honestly I'd recommend a 7 inch rated grinder and use slightly smaller disk size honestly they just have more power. But I do use a smaller size black and Decker grinder that I have been using and abusing for 9 years now just wipe it down and stuff regularly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
a 7" is just an under powered 9", with a 7" guard... big difference between a 7/9" and a 4 1/2", not really for the same work at all.
even an old makita 5" long body is too big for most things i would use a 4 1/2" grinder for, as they require both hands to run

i have 4 millwaukees 2, 4 1/2" and 2, 9" , all are the highest amperage motors that were available at the time, all have been beat to *s-word and just keep working.
metabo's are definitly nice...makita 5 inch long bodys were good...i hate dewalt...

Jake Gillman

The dude abides
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only run metabo in my fab shop. Makita is not the same as they once were neither is dewalt or the red brand.

Cjone

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Makita 9005b. Ran them for production pipe welding with 7" wheels for years. Cant comment on any from the last 5 years or so as I have not had to replace any. CJ

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I currently have a 4" Makita, a 4.5" Dewalt, a 4.5" Bosch 1380 Slim, and a 5" Fein. The Fein is noticeably smoother than the rest. The Dewalt has been just fine (and I'm no fan of Dewalt in general). The Bosch is the only tool of theirs that I'm disappointed in. Weak, rough, and noisy.

If I was going to buy another (and it wasn't an'I gotta have it now' situation) I'd get either a Metabo or another Fein. Just make sure the Metabo is German manufacture, not China.

Ajkeiser2000

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd go with a metabo. At work we've used many brands and the metabos last the longest for the small grinders. They make several models so I'd see which one you like the feel of best. Get good discs and wear at least some sort of eye protection. Even good brand brand new discs sometimes explode on first use. It is rare, but I've seen it a couple times.

Ajkeiser2000

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd go with a metabo. At work we've used many brands and the metabos last the longest for the small grinders. They make several models so I'd see which one you like the feel of best. Get good discs and wear at least some sort of eye protection. Even good brand brand new discs sometimes explode on first use. It is rare, but I've seen it a couple times.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got both a 6 and 4.5" Dewalt plus I think two or three Craftsman my dad had .The Dewalts seem a lot better .I have air drives too but my lawdy do they use the air ,and noisey .
The air drives came from an era before electric drives designed to run off in plant air ,certainly not a 3 HP compressor .