Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . need some schooling on disks as well

Obviously, the discs need to fit your grinder (ID and OD). Match the intended purpose of the disc (metal, masonry, wood, non-ferrous, etc. Grinding, cutting, or sanding, etc.) to the material and the task. I use a variety of sanding/abrasive discs on mine, with a rubber backing pad, and a few different wire wheels, in addition to the more traditional metal or masonry grinding wheels. You can also run ScotchBrite type wheels, as well as polishing bonnets (helps if your grinder is variable speed).

And, of course, if you can use your angle grinder on your chainsaw chains, you should be able to use chainsaw chains on your angle grinder, right?

Philbert

jeepsnchainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I think I could sharpen a saw chain with one
Anyone could, the question... Should you?
Are you saying you could sharpen it AND it would cut good?
I think in the time you saved hacking at it with a grinder... I would make up in bucking up with my hand filed chain.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone could, the question... Should you?
Are you saying you could sharpen it AND it would cut good?
I think in the time you saved hacking at it with a grinder... I would make up in bucking up with my hand filed chain.
I think I could yes would I try no. I've probably saw worse chain other people have tried to file

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We use the 4 1/2", 6" and even a 8" at work. Out of the 4.5" grinders my favorite is the Milwaukee ones. We have a Bosch and it held up for about a year and bearings went out. The Milwaukee has been used for three years and hasn't give up yet. DeWalt are pretty good also. I second the opinion of trying different ones. Some DeWalts have a different switch/grip that I don't like. As for disks i buy Saits. I get whatever flap wheels my local welding supplier carries. I would check with a local welding supplier because they usually have a few brands and pretty good deals on them.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dewalt or Metabo like said previously . My son says they use both for there welding and fabrication shop and the Dewalt last longer.The go through em.

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get my wheels from the welding supply also, they are cheaper than Harbor Freight on them, and the discs last longer too.

pa-aaronq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a dewalt 4.5 with a paddle trigger. I probably have 10 years of moderate use on it. I won't use an angle grinder that has a locking switch any more.

shawn022

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sait are going to be your best wheel. As far as grinders... Makitas SUCK! I have owned a metal fab company for 15 years and watched guys destroy and cry about every piece of crap out there. For the past 3 years I have been buying SKIL brand 41/2" grinders, they are cheap and last longer than most I have seen. Dewalt are about the same quality. I have guys that can bear down so hard on them they can stop the wheel one handed and these SKIL grinders put up with the abuse at really cheap!

I disagree. In my experience makita has lasted longer than any other grinder. I have a 4.5 at work. It is at least 14 years old and is used almost daily. Some days extensively. I have a 4" at home that is not as powerful. Both are locking type switches. The paddle type does not fit my hand well.
I have replaced the brushes and cord once on the 4.5.
I have had guys working with me in the past with dewalt grinders. They were terrible. Hopefully they have changed.
If I were to need another grinder I would eBay me an old 4.5" makita because I don't know the quality of their new stuff.

shawn022

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
30 minutes straight of abuse. On a 14 year old grinder. That's an old school kohler cast iron tub. The makita cut it like a champ.

image.jpg

shawn022

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm very interested in what u are doing there

Installing a tub step insert. Homeowners had their bath remodeled a few years ago and kept the old tub. Now they are older and cannot easily step over the tub to enter the shower. They plan on leaving the door part out as they only shower, but it is designed to be able to fill with water and bathe.

image.jpg

image.jpg