Angle grinder

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
9:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fixin to buy a corded angle grinder and need some advice. Need it for home shop for all around general use. What size and amperage is best? What brand is best - dewalt, bosch, etc.
need some schooling on disks as well
Much thanks

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
dewalts in the 6 inch size are the ones we use at work and take abuse when we built a new power plant some of the grinders would get forgot and get rained and snowed on we would tap them on the scaffold and flip the switch and rarely had problems with them the 4 1/2 ones are not as strong as the 6 inch ones

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Milwaukee makes a good tool. I have 1/2" and
"5/8" arbor- commercial" -
4 1/2" grinders. They are durable and have replaceable brushes.
The Harbor Freight cutting wheel
(packs of 10) work, but are not long lasting.
You can get cutting, grinding, Diamond and a wire wheel for rust and making your welds shiny.
*Edit: Millwright welding instructor said, you'll either be a welder or a grinder. Choose a grinder wisely, or learn to weld...
*I've been known to make the rakers lower and the cutters sharper
on a chain, (or 2) with the cutting wheel.
I haven't tricked out the 6" grinder yet.
Wait, I did pick up a buffing wheel!

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Iam not in any kind of heavy fab work but I picked up some harbor junkers so now I jave one with flap disk,2 with cut off wheel, grinding stone. Cost me about 60 total and I can just grab and go. And harbor freight flapdisks suck I grab the old blue devil or something from work and there better.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go to a few stores where you can hold them in your hand (and turn them on if they let you). Some have different diameter grips that will fit your hand better. Some have paddle style triggers, and others more conventional switches. See how easy it is to change the wheels and reposition the guard.

Among the name brands that you trust you can easily compare Amps, weight, and cost, but don't overlook feel, balance, and comfort.

I purchased one of the Milwaukee 4-1/2" models, but there are lots of good choices out there.

Philbert

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a dewalt at the shop I've used it for log periods of time doesn't get hot so it's the best one I've owned. If you're looking to use this thing quite a bit I'd go with the dewalt if it's a once every two months I'd get one from harbor freight I have one of those it's ok still works do yourself a favor and grab a set of welding gloves to use with those grinders I won't touch one without them

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've went through quite a few 4 1/2" grinders on the job. my favote is the bosh for all day/heavy use.

I do have close to 50hr on the hf grinder. loud, rough lots of vibes but it flat works. 10$ ish on sale.

Get the best wheels/disc you can afford. Those are what will Scarr ya up...

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've went through quite a few 4 1/2" grinders on the job. my favote is the bosh for all day/heavy use.

I do have close to 50hr on the hf grinder. loud, rough lots of vibes but it flat works. 10$ ish on sale.

Get the best wheels/disc you can afford. Those are what will Scarr ya up...
Agree on discs /wheel the cutoff they will blow up or disintegrate

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an older orange pro 4.5 in Black and Decker. The rubber grip rotted off but I like to grind with it. Cleans up everything ive ever needed. I also have a cordless Dewalt that works fine for small welding/cleanup jobs.
I would recommend that it has lock switch to keep power on. Sometimes you cant hold the switch and get a good hold on the grinder.

jeepsnchainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sait are going to be your best wheel. As far as grinders... Makitas SUCK! I have owned a metal fab company for 15 years and watched guys destroy and cry about every piece of crap out there. For the past 3 years I have been buying SKIL brand 41/2" grinders, they are cheap and last longer than most I have seen. Dewalt are about the same quality. I have guys that can bear down so hard on them they can stop the wheel one handed and these SKIL grinders put up with the abuse at really cheap!