And the salesman sent me THIS Stihl chain

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Called a shop as I had a friend going to that town and asked the salesman if he had a bar/chain for a Stihl 026. We discussed it... I said I needed 16" bar, sprocket is .325-7 and I did NOT want safety chain, which I have never used. And when I get it, what! It's green label chain, exactly what I told him I didn't want. I don't know much but he doesn't either, he was consulting his guru on the other phone line. I don't know if he called Stihl or the shop owner or whom but I got exactly what I told him I didn't want. He said, "Don't worry... just have your man pick up it up, I got your bar and a great-cutting chain." Hmmm...

Now that I got it, what about this chain? It's Stihl 3689 005 0067 26RM3 67. It says "Micro" on box. (EDIT: I think chains I have used in past are "RS" and I see that "R" means "Stihl Rapid" cutter type and "S" means "Super full chisel" cutter shape. I think "M" means "micro" cutter shape.)

Chain has one green link. Stamped on some rakers is a "2." (EDIT: I have now read this means .325".) On bottom of the drive link is stamped "6." (EDIT: I just now read where this "6" on the drive link means .063". I was worried it meant Picco but that is if it's on the raker.)

The bar is Stihl Rollomatic E, 16", 3003 008 6813 VC .325 67 .063"... whatever all that means. (EDIT: The butt of the bar has two green marks, kinda like dots. I read where that means laminated, does not have a replaceable nose sprocket and it has a narrower tip than an ES bar, and is a bit less durable.)

I've never had a chain like this... has two rakers? How can I file this? I have a Stihl 2-in-1 file gizmo. (EDIT: Apparently this raker setup is a "bumper" style.)

Will this safety chain (or low kickback chain, whatever you call it) cut decently? I like safe but I want it to cut good and be able to file it.

The good news is I got a good price, $60 out the door. Compared to another Stihl shop, that's real good. I do like the guy and he'll sharpen a chain cheap if I don't do it myself.

=

Ok, I decided to keep it, I have other saws and if somebody wants to use a saw who claims they know chainsaws (and might not!), they can use this one. I bucked a sweetgum up that a friend wanted on his burn pile and it cut great! But that was not a test, lol.

Last edited:

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
9:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I suggest you give that chain a try. You might like it. It's considered reduced kick-back chain. It's not full "safety chain". The second bump raker helps make for a smoother cut. I've used similar chain (different manufacturer) and its smoother when using the tip to bore. Seems to cut fine. File the raker just like normal.

You can read more about the chain on Stihl's site.
https://m.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/saw-chains/rmc3/
Screenshot_20190716-070808_Chrome.jpg

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
9:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpg

So, the RM means semi chisel.

The bar is pretty much what you want. I don’t think they make much else in .325, and their replaceable sprocket nose (RSN) bars tend to be heavy for an 026. You’ll only find them in 3/8.

The pic is of a full chisel, non-safety chain box. I’m not one to settle for safety chain, although as has been said, they will cut wood.

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
8:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 191092 So the RM means semi chisel. The bar is pretty much what you want. I don’t think they make much else in .325, and their replaceable sprocket nose (RSN) bars tend to be heavy for an 026. You’ll only find them in 3/8.
The pic is of a Full chisel, non-safety chain box. I’m not one to settle for safety chain, although as has been said, they will cut wood.
This is exactly what I use, or I go "slumming" and buy either Archer or Oregon. They also work very well and Archer is a best buy in my book. Usually I just buy a 25' reel and make my own loops.