Analyzation of the 10 series McCulloch design

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In conjunction of a recent thread I had interjected some thoughts in that were taken as offensive .some clarification .
The 10 series saws were light years ahead in two cycle design .They used a very unique semi closed transfer port design through a windowed piston .It was not only directional but used varied length transfer tunnels during the transfer cycle which were not used on any other saw engine I am aware of .
Because they are a clam shell designed engine milling the base of a cylinder to raise compression is not possible .However they are a thin piston ring design which under dynamic or running conditions will be under higher pressures than in a static condition .
I personally have never seen a reason to change the actually porting dynamics on these designs .Which is not saying some improvements are out of line .For that matter I could care less what another person does the their own saws .
However keep in mind on a forum there are many ideas .To take offense because someone interjects a thought contrary to your own isn't real cool .To take everybody who offers a thought as being out of line I would have to say is being very thin skinned .
So this I do have to say if you can't stand conversation regarding an idea it's best not to post it .
For the record I am far from a novice on 10 series Macs .On a rigid mount engine like a 10-10 or a 700 I can have one stripped down to the bones and spread out on a work bench in about 20 minutes flat .Not a record but a damned good average :)

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al, not aware of recent comments in some other thread. I've been following your posts for years now. Your posts are intelligent and interesting. Your stories of past work experience are very interesting. Just a word of advice, if I ever hear of you disrespecting the minimacs, there will be hell to pay.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep I've still got the 110/120 mini with a slide pipe .It was and is just a toy .However I haven't fired it up for a couple of years .It wouldn't surprise me if the carb wouldn't need a refresh and that model of Zama is hard to find kits for these days .
Some times if for no other reason you just have to do things for fun and the mini was one of those deals.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you're saying I shouldn't have started the 850 thread? Or are you saying that you were actually contributing to it?
I think you started this thread to because it bothered you so much you couldn't sleep last night.
Jim I'm not going to get in a pizzen match with you .For the record what you think or express is not going to disturb my sleep patterns .Get over it

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did anyone ever tell you that you are a pain in the azz.

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep I've still got the 110/120 mini with a slide pipe .It was and is just a toy .However I haven't fired it up for a couple of years .It wouldn't surprise me if the carb wouldn't need a refresh and that model of Zama is hard to find kits for these days .
Some times if for no other reason you just have to do things for fun and the mini was one of those deals.
I have a Poulan 3400 project for the same reasons.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No it isn't AS .If it were I won't be here .That aside the 10 series Macs are my favorites of all the McCullochs including the big reed valves .This series was the common mans saw and larger displacement models found themselves in professional use .
I've said many times before once Robert Paxton McCulloch left the helm the company became adrift on the high seas and lost all direction it had gained in a period of over 40 years .The brand died a long time ago and products now sold under that name are not the same .
A few of us old die hards keep what's left of the brand alive but we won't live forever . BTW I like Stihls too---;)

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al, Ive never been into one if these. Are the bearings captured between the jug and and a cap or is the case the base?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al, Ive never been into one if these. Are the bearings captured between the jug and and a cap or is the case the base?
The mains are between the cylinder and the crankcase portion ,clam shell type .