An American Made Saw

jed1124

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK I have to admit I'm dreaming a little bit here but why not. There are a bunch of good builders on here and other sites. Any of you guys ever think of designing your own saw? I'll throw out a few ideas:
1. American design and American manufactured. Yeah Stihl has Virginia Beach but the money goes back to Germany.
2. Two piece motor no clammys.
3. There has to be somebody on here that works in a foundry. Put the brains of the builders together and come together with some awesome port numbers for a jug and slug and get a prototype cylinder made.
4.290 stihl is the best selling saw of all time. Start with a saw that would be similar but better in every way.

Just throwing out some ideas, but why not? Funding and investors could be raised threw the sight. I've seen these types of things happen over on the buzz for new ideas and inventions for arborist equipment. Why couldn't we do it here for a new bad azz American made chainsaw?

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bringing a product to market is a long term endeavor and entails more than just throwing some parts together. There would be testing, environmental regulations to meet, parts sourcing, creation of a dealer network, spare parts, marketing, etc. A small niche manufacturer would need to bring something unique to the market to justify the higher cost of their product.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too bad somebody already came up with 'Farm Boss'. Lol. Gotta have a good slogan

jed1124

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bringing a product to market is a long term endeavor and entails more than just throwing some parts together. There would be testing, environmental regulations to meet, parts sourcing, creation of a dealer network, spare parts, marketing, etc. A small niche manufacturer would need to bring something unique to the market to justify the higher cost of their product.
I agree but it all has to start with a dream. I think a lot of guys would agree that most us would be willing to spend a little bit more for a higher quality product made right here in the good ol US of A. How many guys buy a brand new saw and ship them off to a porter for an extra 300 bucks. What if that wasn't necessary?

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have initiative and that's what it takes to learn. If you're dreamin' something up and you hear the typical kneejerk reaction, put on the blinders and think only of the goal line. Success comes in cans. I like building cool stuff and you made an interesting post here, Jed.

Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, KTM.....mini class motocrossers...what did Americans do? Cobra. People will tell you your whole life you can't do something. Don't listen to that.

upload_2016-1-30_16-34-23.jpeg