FOUND IT American or Crescent band saws types

Trader history (0)

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I know nothing about old band saws but I will soon need a big one. Found an American before and just ran across a large Crescent.
The Good the Bad and the Ugly if you know. Tia
Oh btw electrical and the motor are of least concern to me. More interested in the quality of the wheels and parts that should not be missing. It is in a basket case mode of disassembly.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
last Cresent i worked on was in need of new babbit bearings - know the process but have never done it my self so hired it out - getting hard to find someone who does this now days. This was a bigun 48" wheels, when it would get up to speed it would develop a shake on the top wheel and toss the blade. That big C shaped frame member would start to wiggle. Guides and tires were also replaced. Tires were glued on rubber very worn and disintegrating from age and pitch replaced with urethane. On this one the wheels were flat so the new tires had to be crowned- that was a bit tricky.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Good to know about the babbit bearings. I did a set like thirty years ago with and old pro guy. We were rebuilding a 41 Chevy and updating it to a 194 inline motor for it. I'm sure he is gone now. These wheels are 36.