Almost dead 200T carburettor

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
8:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
your logic defies me
Come on Scott! The carb had that impulse outer port blocked from day 1 out of the factory. Yes I could drill it out, but clearly Zama intended it that way. Everything I'm doing currently is merely attempting to bring it vaguely to spec. I consider cleaning all the passages underneath the Welch plug the next thing to do in pursuit of that aim.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
then why did they put a pump diaphragm in it? why did stihl put a impulse line to it?

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
then why did they put a pump diaphragm in it? why did stihl put a impulse line to it?
I know! I couldn't agree with you anymore!

But by the same token why blank off that outer port?

And why did it function just great like that for years?

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so if the carb was made to work without the use of impulse, then why did they go through all the effort of putting a pump on it?

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last week three Stihl top handle saws arrived for a check-up -- 192TC, 200T, and a 201T. Guess which one ran the poorest? The 200T, of course. The other two saws start and run normally.

The 200T starts poorly, cannot accelerate to WOT very well, and tries to conk out instead. No carb settings, Lo or Hi, change the situation. Sound familiar? :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_2521.JPG IMG_2521.JPG
Last week three Stihl top handle saws arrived for a check-up -- 192TC, 200T, and a 201T. Guess which one ran the poorest? The 200T, of course. The other two saws start and run normally.

The 200T starts poorly, cannot accelerate to WOT very well, and tries to conk out instead. No carb settings, Lo or Hi, change the situation. Sound familiar? :rolleyes:
I just got a 35 year old 020 AVS running the carb may have been the original Walbro made Japan I cleaned it out with carb spray and it runs fine! Aint no way one of those Zamas made in China on the 200T would hold up that long.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well what do you say is the cause?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well what do you say is the cause?
Not sure, of course. I'll try my typical complete clean up first. I've checked the pickup and fuel line and they're OK. I usually do that before I pull the carb. This smells a little like a clogged strainer. I'm hoping that's all it is. There may be 150 to 200 hours on this saw, used by a commercial tree trimmer.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure, of course. I'll try my typical complete clean up first. I've checked the pickup and fuel line and they're OK. I usually do that before I pull the carb. This smells a little like a clogged strainer. I'm hoping that's all it is. There may be 150 to 200 hours on this saw, used by a commercial tree trimmer.
Impulse line off or loose?

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I couldn't be bothered to wait for the welch plugs to arrive. So I took the plunge and drilled the impulse port through. If anyone says "drilling a little lump of alloy held at an oblique angle in 2 planes whilst turning the handle on a drill press with the other hand" is easy - I'll say "suck my d**k". Oh and of course the bit was only 1mm diameter, with the rigidity of a drinking straw.

I took some piccies but the exterior port is out of focus and the carb is in a saw now, and plus I'm about to eat my tea :) . The inner hole I drilled through to, you can see here:

upload_2018-1-8_18-3-16.jpeg

and that dotted line is the passage that the drill hole took from the outer port.

After I quickly blowing clean and reassembling.....it started, and ran, and idled just fine!! Really pleased! I now have a spare genuine ZAMA 200T carb. I'll give it a tank or 2 of gas this weekend, but it looks that it really was either a production fault, or as @Simondo speculated the blanked impulse port could only function properly with a working accelerator pump system.

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I couldn't be bothered to wait for the welch plugs to arrive. So I took the plunge and drilled the impulse port through. If anyone says "drilling a little lump of alloy held at an oblique angle in 2 planes whilst turning the handle on a drill press with the other hand" is easy - I'll say "suck my d**k". Oh and of course the bit was only 1mm diameter, with the rigidity of a drinking straw.

I took some piccies but the exterior port is out of focus and the carb is in a saw now, and plus I'm about to eat my tea :) . The inner hole I drilled through to, you can see here:

View attachment 105844

and that dotted line is the passage that the drill hole took from the outer port.

After I quickly blowing clean and reassembling.....it started, and ran, and idled just fine!! Really pleased! I now have a spare genuine ZAMA 200T carb. I'll give it a tank or 2 of gas this weekend, but it looks that it really was either a production fault, or as @Simondo speculated the blanked impulse port could only function properly with a working accelerator pump system.
Interesting to see what you have after a bit of testing under working conditions and getting the tune just right .

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Interesting to see what you have after a bit of testing under working conditions and getting the tune just right .
Definitely. Well I reckon I've got a spare carb out of the deal. Which for a 200t is always good. Will post back this w/end with an update.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 105505 View attachment 105505
I just got a 35 year old 020 AVS running the carb may have been the original Walbro made Japan I cleaned it out with carb spray and it runs fine! Aint no way one of those Zamas made in China on the 200T would hold up that long.
I gotta love the dark pink carpet you've got there in yer workshop buddy! And do I spy a notes pad with a pen at the top right of the pic?? Nice and organised.....

:thumbup: