All Things 288XP

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m thinking it’s a carb issue, but I had a problem with my 288 the other day. I’ve been using it on and off the last week taking care of some blow downs. After refueling and I fresh chain, it rode across town (5 min ride) in the back of my backhoe. It fired up like normal (for the first time that day), but wouldn’t idle at all. Instantly die when letting go of the trigger. It would restart with high idle and choke on but didn’t have much power and slow to rev. I noodled two 20” diameter black walnut rounds and set it down just to have it die again. But this time it wouldn’t restart.

With the corded drill on the clutch as an electric start, I’ve tried every combination of choke and throttle to get it to start to nothing more then a weak burble. I reset the carb to factory setting and changed the fuel filter to no change.

I have a oem carb kit coming, anything else to check? I’ll do a pressure and vac when carb comes off, but I have a feeling a piece of dirt got knocked loose when riding across town.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looked good. I pressurized the tank to check the vent in case of a vapor lock issue and it pumped up to 10 psi without any signs of leaking

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m thinking it’s a carb issue, but I had a problem with my 288 the other day. I’ve been using it on and off the last week taking care of some blow downs. After refueling and I fresh chain, it rode across town (5 min ride) in the back of my backhoe. It fired up like normal (for the first time that day), but wouldn’t idle at all. Instantly die when letting go of the trigger. It would restart with high idle and choke on but didn’t have much power and slow to rev. I noodled two 20” diameter black walnut rounds and set it down just to have it die again. But this time it wouldn’t restart.

With the corded drill on the clutch as an electric start, I’ve tried every combination of choke and throttle to get it to start to nothing more then a weak burble. I reset the carb to factory setting and changed the fuel filter to no change.

I have a oem carb kit coming, anything else to check? I’ll do a pressure and vac when carb comes off, but I have a feeling a piece of dirt got knocked loose when riding across town.
Check the spade connector at the secondary coil. Had a similar issue on my 288 last year and it was caused by a loose connection on that signal wire. Worth a look before you get deep into it.