High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

All Things 288XP

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
8:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I don't have a saw to mount it on but I will post pics when I finish it . My stock for a mandrel was too long so I got to messing around with it I was going to have to cut it anyway I will get it finished up soon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I was going to say that if you are making these commercially that I would be interested,but I see now that you were just eliminating excess length from your stock. Let me know if you decide to go into the velocity stack business. Thanks, Matt...

rattler

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to say that if you are making these commercially that I would be interested,but I see now that you were just eliminating excess length from your stock. Let me know if you decide to go into the velocity stack business. Thanks, Matt...
I sure will shoot me a pm I will try to help you out

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 66822 This v-stack is from early 90's. Crappy pic but... Its on one of my 288's. I love the sound of an open air filter carb. Same as an open air filter carb on a 454 chevy.
Thanks for the pic, my assumption on the install was correct. Definitely won't be cutting my new OEM top cover to run one though. Maybe down the road I'll sacrifice my old top cover for that "wooooop" sound. Lol

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0525.JPG So other than plastics; how much really changed on the 288 between 1987 and 2001? I've been digging around and haven't been able to find a whole lot of info. Did it have strength changes like the 357's connecting rod or the 372's crank? By my serial number I believe I have an 88' model and that being early in the 288 evolution I want to make sure I'm building this saw as strong as I possibly can. Thanks

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So other than plastics; how much really changed on the 288 between 1987 and 2001?
I'm no expert, but not much changed. Chain brake, AV options, starter housing, mufflers, clutches. The latest IPL form Husqvarna is for the Brazilian models, it doesn't have a full wrap, mufflers with spark screens, a few other misc parts. All the parts I have order from my dealer came in most are marked made in Brazil. The only thing I have not been able to order from the latest IPL are some of the decals, how ever South Creek Supply can hook us up.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm no expert, but not much changed. Chain brake, AV options, starter housing, mufflers, clutches. The latest IPL form Husqvarna is for the Brazilian models, it doesn't have a full wrap, mufflers with spark screens, a few other misc parts. All the parts I have order from my dealer came in most are marked made in Brazil. The only thing I have not been able to order from the latest IPL are some of the decals, how ever South Creek Supply can hook us up.
Thanks for the info bud. I like that there were no significant changes to the power head internals. To me that means they got it right the first time.
.:coleman:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thought. I'm installing the 2 front AV bushings on the tank in my rebuild process. As far as I have learned, the 288 lite had those bushings as a substitute for the large dog mounted AV spring. For those of you with 288 experience; should I retain that front spring or leave it off since I'm putting in the front bushings? I always liked the solid feel of the 920 I had and I would ASSume my 288 will feel similar with the rubber bushings up front.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rubber bushings to me are smoother. The springs flex until it's all on the limiters with more buzz into your hands. If it's never going to see more than a 28" no front spring is needed.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
X2 on South Creek Supply for NLA decals. He got some measurements from me on my early 394 and made a whole set for me. Quality and design is spot on with him, I would highly recommend him. Even if he doesn't currently offer something, he will make it happen.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rubber bushings to me are smoother. The springs flex until it's all on the limiters with more buzz into your hands. If it's never going to see more than a 28" no front spring is needed.
Thanks Mike...that's kinda what I was thinking. Now I'm feeling the pressure from these other guys to keep the spring on it...lol!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like as much AV as possible, so I run the front bushings with the big spring, plus it saves the front of the case from taking abuse as well
Had that thought as well, you were one step ahead of me with the typing..ha ha. I might wanna protect that perty case I just put so much work into:D