All Things 288XP

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They don't make springs for the front tanks mounts. The 4 rear are the same spring mounts as the 262.

Thank you sir...that answered my last question. I’m going to experiment.. I have 6 rubber mounts in here now:
e5625db86ac74ae3ca6b7a11ccd3e70d.jpg

Then I’ll swap to these:
c442c867edf50a967b9b9124b4845de1.jpg

And see which I prefer. I’ll share what I think, not that my opinion is very important [emoji23]

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you sir...that answered my last question. I’m going to experiment.. I have 6 rubber mounts in here now:
e5625db86ac74ae3ca6b7a11ccd3e70d.jpg

Then I’ll swap to these:
c442c867edf50a967b9b9124b4845de1.jpg

And see which I prefer. I’ll share what I think, not that my opinion is very important [emoji23]
No one has done this, your opinion is very important. I was talking with Joe and I was pondering if springs up top and rubber everywhere else might be a good combo. Maybe just another configuration to try if you don’t like 4 springs.

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A great friend of mine says springs rule..some of you guys say rubber is the way to go. All I know is I have a decent size downed sweetgum in walking distance from the house..and a great reason to use the 288..it’s for science after all.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A great friend of mine says springs rule..some of you guys say rubber is the way to go. All I know is I have a decent size downed sweetgum in walking distance from the house..and a great reason to use the 288..it’s for science after all.
If it’s for science then it’s for the good of mankind...lol

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine has springs all the way around, I can not compare it to all rubber or mix matched, it all I have. They are the same springs for a 262. They 2016 IPL doesn't list them as an option any more.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine has springs all the way around, I can not compare it to all rubber or mix matched, it all I have. They are the same springs for a 262. They 2016 IPL doesn't list them as an option any more.

Same here, springs all the way around. It is a little flexy if dogging in real hard even with the seventh mount, been thinking about swapping out the two front springs for rubber.

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here, springs all the way around. It is a little flexy if dogging in real hard even with the seventh mount, been thinking about swapping out the two front springs for rubber.

This is the preferred method (4rear springs, 2 front hard rubber) of the ‘spring’ people I’ve heard from.

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok 288 fans..give me your opinion on av buffer setup. I’ve heard springs, I’ve heard rubber, and I’ve heard of combinations or the two. What gives the best ride? My saw has 6 buffers plus the ‘5th mount’ spring up front. I have 6 of the rubber mounts and 4 springs in my possession. What’s the best way to go?
The spring mount in front of the oil tank is actually called the 7th mount. There's provisions for 6 mounts, even on a "lite". I have all hard rubber mounts on my 3 288's. Thats just my preferance.

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't say that I have an experience based recommendation for you on that subject. But what I can say is that I am replacing all 6 of my rubber AV mounts with new OEM parts for my 288 I'm building and will be running the front AV spring. XP_Slinger's 288 is set up this way and I do like the way it handles. That said, I've never disliked the my 3-series saws for their spring mount system either. I'd be curious to run a 288 set up with all springs to see what it's like after getting accustomed to a rubber mounted one...

Hmm... maybe since XP_Slinger has his 288 done up with all rubber, I should experiment and get all springs so we can compare????
I dont think you would be happy with all springs on a 288. It would feel spongy/soft, no feel for how the saw is running/cutting. Not only that, the throttle linkage wont work right if the tank/trigger moves too much compared to the case/carb. It wont get full throttle on the up cut if you're pulling on it very hard cuz the springs will flex too much.

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recall this mount discussion somewhere else on the Interwebs.

The direction was an 'all one or the other' ... nobody posed the possibility of mixing the mounts.

My 288 is currently at the spa and has 6 rubber mounts with the large spring in front. I'll listen to the discussion here for the results. Might be convinced to do a bit of changing.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ya I think you'll want a couple rubber mounts on the back to limit movement
Actually I ordered some mounts from my local guy this morning. Gonna try two rubbers up front and 4 springs in the back along with the spring on the front of the case. If I don't like it I'll change things up till I find what I like. I figure it can't hurt to experiment little...for science! :)