All Things 288XP

ny15

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make sure it extremely clean before you sand, otherwise you end up driving contaminants into the porous magnesium. I have used Alodine 1001 in the past and it works great on aluminum and magnesium.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Moved on to top coat after it dried and this is where I had humidity problems with the paint. 1st coat cured to a dull satin finish. I re-coated with orange then applied clear coat and still the moisture in the air crazed the clear. Finally the sun came out and I moved out side and applied another layer of clear. This time it retained the correct color and a nice even shine. Came out extremely close to factory orange, pretty happy with it.IMG_0541.JPGIMG_0543.JPG

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0549.JPG Every fastener has been picked, everything has been cleaned and everything that could be painted has been painted. All ready for assembly! Just waiting on the mailman to bring me my presents for Christmas in April :)

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cylinder woukd clean up withcs touch if widening. Is there any markings on the base at all?
No markings whatsoever. And there is more chipping up near the chamber. I had the thought of widening it til I saw the other chips.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about it. You can always pull it back apart down the road and get it powder coated if you want.
My thought exactly. Only reason I'm not right now is because I've reached my build budget. But thanks to Dustin I'm getting everything I need, including some things I want like a new top cover and recoil:)

Last edited:

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Color comparison next to my 357. It's a little off but not enough to make me crazy and start over. This pic was taken before the final clear coat so it's an even closer match than this picture shows.View attachment 66705
Love me some 288's but I want to know more about that 4 headlight square body